Udasi Vs Sikhs
In 1926 the Lahore High Court passed a judgement that Udasis are not Sikhs. A large number of differences between Sikhs and Udasis have been detailed. The most important are :
- Udasis wear clothes of ochre colour - Sikhs do not.
- Udasis may or may not have long hair - Sikhs are enjoined to. Cutting the hair is an act of apostasy.
- Udasis are not enjoined to keep the five kakkaars - Sikhs are.
- Udasis need not be initiated in the ceremony of Pahul - Sikhs must.
- Caps are the peculiar badges of Udasis - Sikhs are prohibited from wearing them.
- Udasis observe Hindu rites and ceremonies - Sikhs do not.
- The chief object of worship of Udasis is the ball of ashes - this is condemned by the Sikhs. Udasis adore samadhs - Sikhs do not.
- Udasis may smoke - Sikhs may not. Smoking is an act of apostasy.
- Udasis employ Brahmins - Sikhs are not allowed to.
- Udasis perform shraadh (ancestral rites of offering food to the dead) - Sikhs do not.
- Udasis observe the caste system - Sikhs do not.
|Sects & Cults|
♣♣ Ad Dharm ♣♣ Akalis ♣♣ Bandai Sikhs ♣♣ Balmiki ♣♣ Bhatra ♣♣ Brindaban Matt ♣♣ Daya Singh Samparda ♣♣ Dhir Malias ♣♣ Handalis ♣♣ Kabir Panthi ♣♣ Kirtan jatha Group ♣♣ Kooka ♣♣ Kutta Marg ♣♣ Majhabi ♣♣ Manjis ♣♣ Masand ♣♣ Merhbanieh ♣♣ Mihan Sahibs ♣♣ Minas ♣♣ Nirankari ♣♣ Nanak panthi ♣♣ Nanakpanthi Sindhis ♣♣ Namdev Panthi ♣♣ Namdhari ♣♣ Nanaksaria ♣♣ Nihang ♣♣ Nikalsaini ♣♣ Niranjaniye ♣♣ Nirmala ♣♣ Panch Khalsa Diwan ♣♣ Parsadi Sikhs ♣♣ Phul Sahib dhuan ♣♣ Radha Swami ♣♣ Ram Raiyas ♣♣ Ravidasi ♣♣ Suthra Shahi ♣♣ Sewapanthi ♣♣ Sat kartaria ♣♣ Sant Nirankaris ♣♣ Sanwal Shahis ♣♣ Sanatan Singh Sabhais ♣♣ Sachkhand Nanak Dhaam ♣♣ Samparda Bhindra ♣♣ Tat Khalsa ♣♣ Sikligars ♣♣ Pachhada Jats ♣♣ Satnami's ♣♣ Udasi Sikhs ♣♣