Please note that much of the documentation on this page links to pages on "Wikipedia". The software on SikhiWiki is the same as Wikipedia so all instructions would apply on SikhiWiki. Wikipedia is large Encyclopedia on all topics whereas SikhiWiki is very focused on Sikh related topics.
Basic Flash Tutorials
Hey this is fun - just click and enjoy! Its that simple
- Registering and Logging in.
- Before making a new article
- Another way to create an article
- Creating Internal Links
- Basic Formating
- Creating External links
- Uploading Images
More Basic Help
- How to create a new SikhiWiki account
- How to search for an article
- How to use talk pages
- How to use the Recent Changes page
- How to use the Related Changes page
- How to set preferences (Meta-Wikimedia version)
- How to create a new SikhiWiki User account
Modifying a SikhiWiki page
Basic Wiki System
- How to edit a page, including markup details. First-timers can experiment with editing pages in the sandbox.
- How to start a new page
- How to format a page
- How to add images to pages
- How to upload files to SikhiWiki
- Picture tutorial
- How to use redirect pages
- How to revert a page to an earlier version
- How to create pages for topics with several different definitions
- How to add boilerplate text for readers
- How to use tables and convert HTML table tags into their wiki equivalents
- Importing HTML - HTML to Wikimarkup
- How to use categories
- How to rename (move) a page
- How to delete pages/images/categories
- How to link together SikhiWiki articles in different languages
- How to edit with an external editor
- How to produce graphics for pages
- How to protect/unprotect pages(sysops only)
- How to use templates
- How to incorporate different Style properties into text
- List of guidelines on writing articles: Wikipedia:- List of guidelines
- SikhiWiki policies and guidelines: Wikipedia:- Policies and guidelines
- SikhiWiki manual of writing style: Wikipedia:- Manual of Style
Tutorials for using SikhiWiki
There is quite a bit of documentation on how to use a wiki and showing you how everything works. Start with the first link to get the basics and then you can delve deeper as you learn more.
- Get a personal tour by watching the Sikhiwiki Online Tutorials
Typing in Punjabi and Gurmukhi
- Main article: SikhiWiki:Using Punjabi on SikhiWiki
Traditionally, Ascii fonts sets have been used to represent different languages on computers. This is an extension of using different fonts within the same language. For example, when writing in English, one can use various font sets like "Times Roman" or "Arial", etc. This method has many restrictions and disadvantages when used to represent characters of different languages. The main disadvantage is the none compatibility with other computers; it is a non-regulated and non-standardised system; every computer needs to have "the particular fonts set" loaded before the text will display.
To resolve problems associated with representing characters of different world languages, the computer industry has come up with a much better solution. This is to use a unique code to represent all the characters of the most popular world languages. This "universal" method of representing the world's languages is called Unicode.
To allow you to work in Gurmukhi script, you will need to enable unicode language on your computer. Learn how to setup your computer to type Punjabi/Gurmukhi - Once you do this you can enter text in Gurmukhi also. This is usefull if you are wanting to include Gurbani Quotes or other bani along with English. An online OnScreen Punjabi Gurmukhi/Shahmukhi Keyboard link is also included for typing without any kind of Setup.
Asking for Permission
If you find an interesting article on another Sikhi site and wish to use it at SikhiWiki, you must first ask for permission. Follow the guidelines here to get this permission before you use the material. Most Sikhi sites are very apprachable and permission is almost always given.
- 1 Verifiability: The threshold for inclusion of an article in SikhiWiki is verifiability, not truth. "Verifiable" in this context means that any reader must be able to check that material added to SikhiWiki has already been published by a reliable source.
- 2. No original research:Sikhiwiki is not the place for original research. Citing sources and avoiding original research are inextricably linked: the only way to demonstrate that you are not doing original research is to cite reliable, verifiable and easily checkable sources which provide information that is directly related to the topic of the article and that what you have quoted directly adheres to what those sources say.
- 3 Neutral Point of View (NPOV) is one of SikhiWiki:Five principal pillars which states that all SikhiWiki articles must be written from a neutral point of view, that is, they must represent all significant views fairly and without bias.
- 4 Articles must be relevant to Sikhi Only articles that are relevant to Sikhi will be allowed to be posted. If the article has no relevance or connection of Sikhism, it will be removed. Therefore, please only post articles which are balanced, and have a relevance to Sikhism.
What is copyright & How to get permission
- Main article: Copyrights
SikhiWiki respects the principle and rules of Copyright and all editors must obey this very important rule. Copyright is a set of exclusive rights regulating the use of a particular expression of an idea or information. At its most general, it is literally "the right to copy" an original creation. In most cases, these rights are of limited duration. The symbol for copyright is ©, and in some jurisdictions may alternatively be written as either (c) or (C).
Copyright may subsist in a wide range of creative, intellectual, or artistic forms or "works". These include poems, theses, plays, and other literary works, movies, choreographic works (dances, ballets, etc.), musical compositions, audio recordings, paintings, drawings, sculptures, photographs, software, radio and television broadcasts of live and other performances, and, in some jurisdictions, industrial designs. Designs or industrial designs may have separate or overlapping laws applied to them in some jurisdictions. Copyright is one of the laws covered by the umbrella term 'intellectual property'.
Asking for Permission: If you find an interesting article on another Sikhi site and wish to use it at SikhiWiki, you must first ask for permission. Its easy, just follow the guidelines at the main copyrights article. Please note that you must get this permission before you use the material here. Most Sikhi sites are very approachable and permission is almost always given. If you have any problem, just lets us know. Note that most Sikhi Sites will very willingly give permission and may even appreciate the "fuss", so please build the "network" and just follow the simple instructions. We have only had one minor problem in almost 3 years.
- Main article: SikhiWiki:Copyright violation
- If you are alleging a copyright violation on this site, please follow the procedure below:
Please observe the rules for this site - If you feel that an article infringes copyright, you must enter a remark to that effect on the article discussion page. A SikhiWiki Sewadar will then deal with the matter. You must not change the article in any way until the matter has been dealt with by the Sewadar. Changing the article will hinder the Sewadar from making the relevant checks.
In your remark please leave the following details:
- Your name and email address
- The exact part of the article that infringes the alleged copyright
- The original site of the material with a precise url
- The details of the author of that site with his or her name and email address
- If you are not the author, an authorisation from the author giving you irrevocable authority to deal with this matter.
It would help us if you could help us by providing the following optional details:
- Why you believe that the material is subject to copyright if it is a site promoting Sikhism (just as SikhiWiki)?
- Why do you feel that we cannot use that material for educational purposes on SikhiWiki?
You will appreciate that we must first carry out a thorough check before any action can be taken. The more information you provide the quicker we can remove the offensive article. However, we cannot allow users to delete material themselves without following these set guidelines. If the practise of deletion by users was allowed, this site would be prone to constant vandalism and interference from "hoax-sters"
Please observe these rules given above otherwise we will have no alternative but to debar any user who "takes the law into their own hands" and the user will be permanently banned from this site.
Remember that the sole purpose of this site is to promote Sikhi principles, values and practices and that this is done on a volunteer basis by sewadars who receive no money for their time and effort. "The Guru's Sikh, and the Sikh's Guru, are one and the same; both spread the Guru's Teachings." (p444)
- If you wish to complain about any matter in relation to this site please send email to the contact given at SikhiWiki:Contacts