Gurdwaras in Pakistan are an essential part of Sikhism and form an important part of the History of Sikhism. The Punjab was only divided in 1947 when the separate nations of India and Pakistan were formed. Prior to this period, the whole of the area covered by the two countries was one nation.
A significant part of the Sikh history is linked to places that are now in Pakistan. The following is a brief list of the important places of Sikh history:
- Nankana Sahib This is the most sacred place of the birth of the founder of the Sikh faith Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji.
- Gurdwara Janam Asthan, Nankana Sahib - This site is Guru Ji ‘Janam Asthan’ meaning ‘Place of Birth’ and Guru Ji childhood home.
- Gurdwara Bal Lilah, Nankana Sahib - This site is connected with adventures of the early childhood of the Guru.
- Gurdwara Patti Sahib, Nankana Sahib – ‘Patti’ means ‘Alphabet’ and is the site where Guru Ji leant the various different languages and particular the alphabet of these languages.
- Gurdwara Mall Ji Sahib, Nankana Sahib - This site is connected with adventures of the early childhood of the Guru in particular the events link to the Cobra and Mehta Kalu
- Gurdwara Kiara Sahib, Nankana Sahib - This site is where Guru Ji as a youngster used to graze cattle. It is at a distance of about 1.5 Km from the Janam Asthan.
- Gurdwara Tambu Sahib, Nankana Sahib
- Gurdwara Guru Hargobind Sahib, Nankana Sahib
- Gurdwara Nihang Singhan, Nankana Sahib
- Gurdwara Sachcha Sauda, Chuharkana
- Gurdwara Panja Sahib, Hasan Abdal – This is the site where Guru Nanak Dev stopped the rock with his hand and the palm print is impressed on the rock.
- Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Lahore
- Gurdwara Sri Nank Garh, Lahore
- Baoli Sahib Sri Guru Amar Das, Lahore (Roofed Well)
- Parkash Asthan Sri Guru Ram Das Ji, Lahore
- Gurdwara Diwan Khana, Lahore
- Dharamshala Sri Guru Ramdas Ji, Lahore
- Gurdwara Baoli Sahib Guru Arjan Dev Ji, Lahore
- Gurdwara Bhai Budhu Da Awa, Lahore
- Gurdwara Lal Khooh, Lahore
- Gurdwara Dehra Sahib Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji, Lahore
- Gurdwara Patshahi Chhevin
- Gurdwara Patshahi Chhevin Muzang
- Gurdwara Shikargarh Patshahi Chhevin, Lahore
- Shahid Ganj Bhai Taru Singh
- Gurdwara Shahid Ganj Sighnian, Lahore
- Shahid Ganj Bhai Mani Singh, Lahore