- 1 Naam in Mul Mantar
- 2 Naam in Gurbani
- 3 Saved Here
- 4 Where does Mool Mantar end?
- 5 Ek / Oankaar
- 6 Original Gurmukhi Text
- 7 30 yrs?
- 8 Compilation
Naam in Mul Mantar
I think SikhiWiki illustration on Naam in Mul Mantar needs a through discourse.
Alternative views should also be displayed until there is consensus
From my perspective, Naam simply means the attributes of God. For example the two clear and easy attributes mentioned in Mul Mantar are Nirbhau and Nirvair.
Naam Japna simply means to live ones' life according to these attributes as a way to attain oneness with God.
There are many other attributes of Naam illustrated in Sri Guru Granth Sahib and Jaap Sahib.
Posting sent by email by: LTC (Retd) Gurbachan Singh presently in Ottawa.
Muul Mn3r encapsulates 10 Attributes
1. A Writer^^^ (Lord TRUTH is a Writer, writes^^^ every one's Destiny. All Gurus and other writers of Gurbani had been relentless Writers^^^
2. A Creator,
3. A Saint,
4. A Fearless,
5. Friend (of even Foes),
6. A Punctual
7. KHALSA (Living Idol of Lord TRUTH, One Worded True Name of who so ever calls himself a Sikh)
8. Missionary (Realization of These 10 attributes is the ONE and only ONE mission of A Sikh) and
9. A Self-Made
10. Gurbani Pro (Master).
In plain English
True and Formal Name(ID) of A Sikh is 'A Writer^^^ Creator Gentleman Singh Fearless Friend, the Punctual KHALSA Missionary Self-Made through Gurbani's Grace' . In implies the First written Commandment (No Zeero) direct from Nanak Sahib wherein Guru address all of us saying
...."O Dear Writer^^^ bearing THY True Name, 'Creative Gentleman Singh Friend, the Punctual KHALSA Self-Made Missionary through Gurbani's grace' !! While Treading this 38 Step Panth 'JPU' , please stay 'TRUE to' and 'Focused' on THY TRUE Name against all odds"
'jpu' Bani was dictated by Nanak Sahib to his successor Guru Angad(Ref Prof Sahib Singh's Darpan) as a formal 'Guruship Handing Over Event' and definition(Naming Ceremony / Naam Daan / Khnde dii phul) of a Sikh.
1 O^^^ (ikk O Ankaar^^^) has two Parts parallel to modern day Machine Language of '1 0' (TRUE FALSE) :-
* Ikk..........repersents 'Lord TRUTH' with no attributes. ('O' is just an addressing expression like O my Dear ! please....)
* Ankaar^^^....This is the third word of Gurbani Language meaning 'Writer^^^'. It represents above 10 attributes of Lord TRUTH which get reflected through THY True living worship worthy Idol(not of Stone) 'KHALSA'.
* This pair in Gurbani Language be read as "Nirnkaar-Ankaar^^^" (Lord TRUTH-Idol of Lord TRUTH)
Modern perspective of TRUE NAME
- THY TRUE Name is....> 1/A/An/ONE/TRUE/TRUTH
- MY TRUE Name is :-
Title : A Writer~~(bearing THY TRUE Name)
Job Title: Creator
First Name : Gentleman
Middle Name : Singh
Last Name : Friend
Family Name : 'KHALSA'
Suffix : Self-Made Punctual Missionary, A Gurbani Pro.
--A Writer Student Abhai Singh Nirvair Khalsa Punctual Missionary Self-Made through Gurbani's Grace
Naam in Gurbani
Thank you , just adding more to it. Gurbani is dictionary of itself:
Let's Ask Gurbani what is Naam
ਏਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਹੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਦੀਆ ਬੁਝਾਇ ਜੀਉ ॥੫॥
एको नामु हुकमु है नानक सतिगुरि दीआ बुझाइ जीउ ॥५॥
Ėko nām hukam hai Nānak saṯgur ḏī▫ā bujẖā▫e jī▫o. ||5||
The One Name is the Lord's Command; O Nanak, the True Guru has given me this understanding. ||5|| ਏਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ = ਹੁਕਮੁ ਹੈ 2)
ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਭਾਈ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹ ਬਿਨਾਸੁ ॥
प्रेम पदारथु नामु है भाई माइआ मोह बिनासु ॥
Parem paḏārath nām hai bẖā▫ī mā▫i▫ā moh binās.
The Love of the Name is the greatest treasure, O Siblings of Destiny; through it, emotional attachment to Maya is dispelled.
ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ = ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ
ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੋ ਦੇਇ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇ ॥ गुर गिआनु पदारथु नामु है हरि नामो देइ द्रिड़ाइ ॥ Gur gi▫ān paḏārath nām hai har nāmo ḏe▫e driṛ▫ā▫e. The wisdom of the Guru is the treasure of the Naam. The Guru implants and enshrines the Lord's Name.
ਗਿਆਨੁ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ = ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ
ਐਸਾ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਨਾਮੁ ॥
ऐसा गिआनु पदारथु नामु ॥
Aisā gi▫ān paḏārath nām.
Such is the spiritual wisdom, the treasure of the Naam;
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਵਸਿ ਰਸਿ ਰਸਿ ਮਾਨੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
गुरमुखि पावसि रसि रसि मानु ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Gurmukẖ pāvas ras ras mān. ||1|| rahā▫o.
obtaining it, the Gurmukhs enjoy the subtle essence of this nectar. ||1||Pause|
ਗਿਆਨੁ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ = ਨਾਮੁ
In Whole Shabads we have two type of Naam:
1) Gyaan Padarath (Wisdom) - Related to Gurbani, Guru Granth Sahib
2) Hukam (Surat Shabad Bhavsagar Tariyey) - Direct connection of Surat with Shabad.
Gyaan is also Hukam. Gyan is related to Prem. Whom you love is due to Gyan. Here it is divine love
- Naam directly conveys Hukam. Naam Jappna, means to understand the Hukam because HUKAM BOOJH PARAM PAD PAAYI.
and right Attributes of Naam(Hukam) are many, somewhere he is driver (Khasam Hath Nakk Nath). somewhere it is killer (Darha agrey pritham dhrayan), somewhere it is nurisher (palanhaar golpal) etc
Bhul Chuk Maaf
(HarpreetSingh 14:06, 17 May 2012 (CDT))
- Mool Mantar: Term "Mool Mantar" appearing in SGGS: ਮੰਤਰ ਮੂਲ Pg 156...... :ਮੰਤਰ ਮੂਲ Pg 674...... :ਮੂਲ ਮੰਤਰ Pg 1040
Where does Mool Mantar end?
A user added the following section to the Mool Mantar article:
"There is controversy over whether the Mool Mantar stops at "Gurprasad" or continues with "Jap" on to the first numeral. Sikh scholars are divided and arguments favoring either case have been made. The results of a google search will show examples."
Yes, there is a difference of opinion as to where the Mool Mantar ends, I would say 'most' people have suggested that 'Jap' is the title and commencement of the Bani - JapJi Sahib.
I've taken the section out because rather than suggesting readers to do a "google search" can we not have this info on the site? For the user who added this, please register and become a regular contributer to help build the SikhiWiki website!--Navroop Singh 04:33, 13 May 2005 (Central Daylight Time)
As per Darpan by Prof Sahib Singh
- 1. Heading. Mool Mantar ends at ...gur parshad. Being the Heading for the entire text of SGGS, no serial No has been alloted to it.
- 2. Opening Shalok. Next Pad commencing with aad sach... & ending at ...Bhi sach, is an opening Shalok for Bani titled Jap. An independent Serial 1 has been alloted to this Shlok. It is an amplification of 'ik Om Kaar Sat Naam'.
- 3. Bani Jap(u). Next the set of 38 Pads, serially numbered from 1 through 38, are covered under the Heading Jap(u).
- 4. Concluding Shalok . Pawan guru... ...Naal. is the Shalok summing up the theme of complete Bani of 38 Paudis.
Amita Singh 10 Nov 05 Delhi
Ek / Oankaar
A recent user deleted a section of the mool mantar article discussing the significance of the numeral one, 'Ek'. I've as a result split the section into two headings - 'Ek' and 'Oankaar'. If you're going to make an edit like that, please can you register and also explain your reasons on this discussion page.--Navroop Singh 04:36, 13 May 2005 (Central Daylight Time)
Original Gurmukhi Text
1. Recommended that the following text, not forming the part of Mool Mantar, be deleted
॥ ਜਪ ॥ ਆਦਿ ਸਚ ਜਗਾਦਿ ਸਚ ॥ ਹੈ ਭੀ ਸਚ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੋਸੀ ਭੀ ਸਚ ॥1॥
Amita Singh Delhi 26 Nov 05
"The Mool Mantar is said to be the first composition uttered by Guru Nanak Dev ji upon enlightenment at the age of 30......."
- Panth ka barking Kookar Seeks guidance from Sarbat Khalsa
Jo Boly (Bitter Truths) so Nihal
User: Mutia June 8,2007
1 Year 3 Moths plus?
Spirit of Your TrueName ordains...
- True Sikh.s can never keep quit
- Speaking the unspoken is True Strength
- Gajj ky (Gurbani) Bolo
- Jo Boly so Nihallllllllllllllll
- Demonstrate Obedience of Hukm
Sikhs & Sikh. Scholars seem to be Demonstrating Obediance of Hukm by keeping quiet.
"is the most important composition" It is not a compilation. It is just the Opening Sentence in StiGurBani language wherein Nanak Sahib addresses his Sikh Angand telling him to commence writing the composition 'Jpu'