Chandi Charitar Ukat(i) Bilas
- PREREQUISITE: Thorough study of Guru Granth Sahib
|Sri Dasam Granth Sahib|
(ਦਸਮ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ)
|Jaap - Akal Ustat - Bachitar Natak - Chandi Charitar Ukat(i) Bilas - Chandi Charitar 2 - Chandi di Var - Gyan Parbodh - Chobis Avatar - Brahm Avtar - Rudar Avtar - Sabad Patshahi 10 - 33 Swaiyey - Khalsa Mahima - Shastar Nam Mala - Ath Pakhyan Charitar Likhyate - Zafarnama - Hikayats|
|Other Related Banis|
|Bhagauti Astotar - Ugardanti - Sri Kaal Chopai - Lakhi Jungle Khalsa - Asfotak Kabits - Sahansar Sukhmana - Vaar Malkauns Ki - Chandd Patshahi 10|
|Historical Sources - Memorials - Anti Dasam|
|Idol Worship - Pilgrimages - Chandi - Triya - Shastar|
|Singh Sabha Lahore - Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha - Professor Sahib Singh - Bhai Veer Singh - Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale -|
|Ram Raaiyas of Payal - Teja Singh Bhasod - Gyani Bhag Singh Ambala - Professor Darshan Singh|
Chandi Charitar Ukat(i) Bilas is a narration present in Second Scripture of Sikhs, Dasam Granth, written by Guru Gobind Singh. This narrative contains War of Wisdom between Gurmati and Manmati. All Deamons are shown against existence of Hukam or have no clear vision of Gurmat, are called Manmatt. Chandi is shown as Gurmukh who show demons and deities the true path of God. Deities are shown those which have only faith in God, but are not clear with concept of god.
Source of Characters: Like Gurbani have picked many words from vedas, katebas and other granths, to explain Brahmgyan like [[Murari], Gobinda, Ram, Kanha, Garurh etc. Guru Gobind Singh picked characters of brahmgyan and concept from Markandya Puran. He Clearly mentioned in end the name of granth from where he picked Characters, but whole glory of Chandi is explained in Guru's own style. Only Gurmat dictionary is to be apply on these charitars of Chandi to get real essence of these compositions as it is written by Gurmukh.
Ukti Bilas : Chandi Charitar Ukat(i) bilas means Discussion on Charitar of Chandi i.e Discussion on Characterstics and Function of Chandi. Chandi is Vivek Budhi i.e intuitive and discerning mind, where it fights with evils of inside, their it also fights with evils of others.
Guru Gobind Singh gave the bani maritial spirit and shown the discussion of wisdom in form of war or battle. All Deamons are negative powers(Manmatt), which fight with Chandi(intuitive and discerning mind = Gurmat(i)) and loss in battle of wisdom. It's very difficult to understand the bani, as knowledge of Gurmat will help person to get clear the aspects of bani. Guru Granth Sahib says:
ਪਾਠ ਪੜੈ ਨਾ ਬੂਝਈ ਭੇਖੀ ਭਰਮਿ ਭਲਾਇ ॥
He cannot be understood by reading scriptures; the deceitful pretenders are deluded by doubt.
ਗਰਮਤੀ ਹਰਿ ਸਦਾ ਪਾਇਆ ਰਸਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਰਸ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੩॥
Through the Guru's Teachings, the Lord is always found, and the tongue is permeated with the Sublime Essence of the Lord. ||3||
So may Gurmati help people who read this splendid composition of Guru Gobind Singh
History and Composition
Chandi Charitars was written before in purans, Guru Gobind Singh wrote it with new style and with new definations. Guru Gobind Singh picked characters from those puranas to explain his version of Chandi Charitar thats why he mentioned name of Puran in end of the granth from where he picked characters. The source of characters is Markandya Puran.
It is in Braj Language. One of these compositions is known as Chandi Charitra Ukti Bilas whereas the second has no qualifying extension to its title i.e generally called Chandi Charitar 2, except in the manuscript of the Dasam Granth preserved in the toshakhana at Takht Sri Harimandar Sahib at Patna, which is designated Chandi Charitra Trambi Mahatam.
Ukat(i) bilas is divided into eight cantos, comprises 233 couplets and quatrains, employing seven different metres, with Savaiyya and Dohara predominating. In the former, the source of the story mentioned is Durga Saptasati which is a portion of Markandeya purana, from chapters 81 to 94.
It was composed at Anandpur Sahib, sometime before AD 1698, the year when the Bachitra Natak was completed. The concluding lines of the last canto of Chandi Charitra Ukti Bilas as included in the Dasam Granth manuscript preserved at Patna, however, mention 1752 Bk / AD 1695 as the year of the composition of this work.
In Bachitar Natak Guru Gobind Singh wrote:
The miraculous feats of Chandi have been composed earlier
ਨਖ ਸਿਖ ਤੇ ਕਰਮ ਭਾਖ ਸਨਾਯੋ ॥
I have compsed (the same) in strict order from top to toe.
What is Chandi
ਆਦਿ ਅਪਾਰ ਅਲੇਖ ਅਨੰਤ ਅਕਾਲ ਅਭੇਖ ਅਲਖ ਅਨਾਸਾ ॥
The Chandi is Primal, Infinite, Account less, Boundless, Deathless, Garbless, Incomprehensible and Eternal.
ਕੈ ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤ ਦਏ ਸ੍ਰੁਤਿ ਚਾਰ ਰਜੋ ਤਮ ਸਤ ਤਿਹੂੰ ਪੁਰ ਬਾਸਾ ॥
She is Shiv's Shakti(Lord's Power), given four Vedas and three modes of maya and Pervades in three worlds.
ਦਿਉਸ ਨਿਸਾ ਸਸਿ ਸੂਰ ਕੈ ਦੀਪਕ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਰਚੀ ਪੰਚ ਤਤ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸਾ ॥
She created day and night, the lamps of sun and moon and the whole world with five elements.
ਬੈਰ ਬਢਾਇ ਲਰਾਇ ਸੁਰਾਸੁਰ ਆਪਹਿ ਦੇਖਤ ਬੈਠ ਤਮਾਸਾ ॥੧॥
She extended enmity and fight between the gods and demons and Himself seated (on His Throne) scans it.1.
Supreme quality of Chandi
ਜੋਤ ਜਗਮਗੈ ਜਗਤਿ ਮੈ ਚੰਡ ਚਮੁੰਡ ਪ੍ਰਚੰਡ ॥
ਭੁਜ ਦੰਡਨ ਦੰਡਨਿ ਅਸੁਰ ਮੰਡਨ ਭੁਇ ਨਵ ਖੰਡ ॥੩॥
Birth of Soul
ਮੁਨੀਸਰੋ ਵਾਚ ॥
ਹਰਿ ਸੋਇ ਰਹੈ ਸਜ ਸੈਨ ਤਹਾ ॥ ਜਲ ਜਾਲ ਕਰਾਲ ਬਿਸਾਲ ਜਹਾ ॥
ਭਯੋ ਨਾਭ ਸਰੋਜ ਤੇ ਬਿਸੁ ਕਰਤਾ ॥ ਸ੍ਰੁਤ ਮੈਲ ਤੇ ਦੈਤ ਰਚੇ ਜੁਗਤਾ ॥੮॥
ਮਧੁ ਕੈਟਭ ਨਾਮ ਧਰੇ ਤਿਨ ਕੇ ॥ ਅਤਿ ਦੀਰਘ ਦੇਹ ਭਏ ਜਿਨ ਕੇ ॥
ਤਿਨ ਦੇਖਿ ਲੁਕੇਸ ਡਰਿਓ ਹੀਅ ਮੈ ॥ ਜਗਮਾਤ ਕੋ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਧਰਯੋ ਜੀਅ ਮੈ ॥੯॥
Gurmat Terminology in bani
A person having Gurmat dictionary can only understand bani of Guru Gobind Singh, a gurmukh cannot apply Brahmin's dictionary on it, let's discuss basic terms in light of Gurmat and their etymology:
- Chandi (Gurmukh, Satgur, Gurmat, Gyan Khadag) : Chandi is vivek budhi i.e intuitive and discerning mind, i.e Gurmat. for eg. all great Devotees like Nanak, Kabir, Bhatts, Gobind Singh etc. were Chandis, who have weapons of wisdom in their hand and these Chandi fight with Manmatt that are Deamons. for eg. Nanak fought with Qazis at mecca and killed all their evil thoughts and made them Sikhs. ਗਿਆਨ ਖੰਡ ਮਹਿ ਗਿਆਨ ਪਰਚੰਡ ॥ In the realm of wisdom, spiritual wisdom reigns supreme, when the wisdom is supreme such person is also called Chandi. It is also called Icha Shakti of god(i.e willpower of god)
- Devtey(Dieties): Dieties are those people which believe in existence of god, but they have just faith, not have intuitive and discerning mind. Whenever they thrown out by deamons in Discussion of wisdom, they seek chandi for help.
- Rakshish(Deamon)(ਦਰਮਤਿ, ਬਿਖੈ ਬਿਕਾਰ ਦਸਟ, ਅਸਰ : These are evil which are against existence of god and could not stand before Chandi while discussing with her. Gurbani says ਸਖਦਾਤਾ ਦਖ ਮੇਟਣੋ ਸਤਿਗਰ ਅਸਰ ਸੰਘਾਰ ॥੩॥, The True Guru is the Giver of peace, the Dispeller of pain, the Destroyer of demons. ||3||
Characters of Internal Soul which is split(Bhang) due to delusion, the splitted parts are positive(Chitt) and Negative(Mann) and Mann could not recognize Dharma and Hukam. The qualitative aspect of such souls are present in Chandi Charitar which are here under:
- Madhu-Keetab: There are two parts of body one is Chitt(Heart) and other is Mann(Mind or attention). Both are opposite of each other. Madhu means Shahd(Sweet honey) and Keetab means Insect. A Person Mann(mind) is keetab and his Chitt/Heart is Madhu.
- Chand-Mund: Chand is Chitt(Chandeya hoya = Sach), Mund is Mann(mind).
- Shumbh Nishumbh: Shumb is positive side and Nishumb is negative side.
- Rakatbeej(ਭਰਮਿ): Rakatbeej is Bharam(Illusion), when some confusion is in ourself, it give birth to other confusion and so on. in Gurbani it's said ਭਰਮਿ ਭਲਾਣਾ ਅੰਧਲਾ ਫਿਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥, Wandering in doubt, the spiritually blind come and go in reincarnation, over and over again.
- MahikhaSura is a qualititative name of The Soul. It is a Negative Name
- The soul which is stubborn and do not listen to truth. It is called Moti Buddhi
- Mahikha means Bull, Gurbani says ਮਾਤਾ ਭੈਸਾ ਅੰਮਹਾ ਜਾਇ ॥, The bull is intoxicated, and runs around wildly.
- Dhumralochan is a qualititative name of The Soul. It is a Negative Name
- Dhumralochan is also called Dhumranain and Lochan Dhoom.
- The soul which could not see the truth is called Dhumra Lochan.
- Dhumra is Illusion, Smoke before, Lochan(eye), The third eye i.e Understanding(Intellect/Buddhi).
- His vision is obscure because he could not see the internal truth. He do not have Spiritual wisdom but may have Temporal wisdom. The one who could see without eyes is called Gurmukh.
- Yudh of Charitars: in Actuall whole fight narrated by Gobind Singh ji is actually discussion of wisdom given to sikhs to understand the real chandi and to read warlike material to have spirit for fighting on level of spiritually and worldly too.
Views of Hindus and Anti Dasam People on this bani
Hindus and Anti-Dasam persons treat Chandi as some female diety. According to them Chandi is diety which live somewhere in kailash and when other Dieties face any problem from deamons, She come out and help them. Their interpretation have no relations with Gurmat and spirituality. They think Chandi as some goddess having lion beneath it and have eight hands carrying different weapons. Hindus treat them diety and worship her but Anti Dasam only treat her goddess, but do not worship it.
Gurmukhs have very different view on Chandi, totally against these two groups who had misinterpreted Chandi for sake of money or ignorance.
|Chandi Charitar Ukat(i) Bilas|
|Banis:||Jaap | Akal Ustat | Bachitar Natak | Chandi Charitar Ukat(i) Bilas | Chandi Charitar 2 | | Chandi di Var | Gyan Parbodh | Chobis Avatar | Brahm Avtar | Rudar Avtar | Shabad Hazarey | 33 Swaiyey | Swayyae| Shastar Nam Mala | Charitropakhyan | Zafarnama | Hikayats|
|History:||Historical References · Guru Gobind Singh · Paonta Sahib · Bhai Mani Singh · Mata Sundri|
|Philosphy:||Idol Worship · Pilgrimages · Chandi · Triya · Shastar · Waheguru|
|Sikh Scholars About Dasam Bani:||Singh Sabha Lahore · Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha · Professor Sahib Singh · Bhai Veer Singh · Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale · Anti Dasam Bani Movement|