Sikh Code of Conduct
- Main article: Sikh Beliefs
Text for children
The following is a brief summary of the conduct expected from a Sikh of the Guru. Full instructions for the Sikh are given in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib which is more than a holy book for the Sikhs - It is their "Living Guru". By reading the Guru Granth Sahib, the Sikh can learn about the Sikh beliefs and the type of conduct expected from a Sikh.
- 1. There is only one God; worship and pray only to Him (Simran).
- 2. Always remember the one God (Naam Japo), work hard and honestly (Kirat Karni), and share with others (Wand kay Shako).
- 3. At all times practice Truth, live a Truthful life and engage in service (Sewa) for the community.
- 4. Remember that women are as good as men and must be treated as equals.
- 5. Always remember the whole of the human race is one. Distinctions on caste, colour and class are wrong and against Sikh principles.
- 6. Do not believe in superstitions; nor follow empty rituals; nor believe in Idols, magic, omens, fasts, frontal marks or sacred threads, etc
- 7. Dress yourself in a simple and modest way; gaudy clothes and revealing dress bring no credit and will take you away from Sikhi.
- 8. Sikh women should not observe the veil (pardah); neither should they observe any other distinct customs like fasting for their husbands ("Karva Chhor"), make payments in marriage (Dowry); etc. Women have the same rights as men before God.
- 9. Live a married family life; asceticism and renunciation are needless exercises.
- 10. Put your faith in the Holy Granth; no other Holy book or living person can claim Guruship (for Sikhs).
- 11. Control the Five Evils - Lust Kam, Anger Krodh, Greed Lobh, Material attachment Moh and Ego Ahankar
- 12 Practise the Five Virtues - Truth Sat, Contentment Santokh, Compassion Daya, Humility Nimrata and Love Pyare
(Given at the time of baptism (Amrit))
- 1. Do not cut your hair. (Kesh)
- 2. Do not use tobacco; alcohol or intoxicating drugs.
- 3. Do not eat Kutha meat. (see the article SGGS on meat)
- 4. Do not commit adultery.