Kiratpur Sahib Guru Hargobind, who bought the land from Raja Tara Chand of Kehloor through his son, Baba Gurditta. The place is also associated with the memory of a Muslim saint, Pir Buddan Shah who was gifted with a very long life (legends say about 800 years). It is situated on the bank of the Sutlej about 10 km south of Anandpur, about 30 km north of Rupnagar and 90 Kms from Chandigarh on the Nangal-Rupnagar-Chandigarh road (NH21).was established in 1627 by the 6th Nanak,
It is a sacred place for the Sikhs. Guru Nanak Dev is said to have visited this place when it was little more than a wilderness. Guru Hargobind, the sixth Guru spent the last few years of his life here. Both Guru Har Rai and Guru Harkrishan were also born at this place and they were blessed with the Gurgadi (Guruship) at this place.
List of Gurdwaras
- Gurdwara Patal Puri, This Gurdwara,on the banks of the Sutlej is situated near the railway tracks and is the place where many Sikhs take the ashes of their dead to be immersed in the river. Guru Hargobind in 1644 as well as Guru Har Rai in 1661 were cremated here. The ashes of Guru Harkrishan were brought from Delhi and immersed here in 1664.
- Gurdwara Charan Kamal: commemorates the spot where the Pir had met the Ist Prophet of Sikhism, Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. His mausoleum is located on a hill nearby. He died after the Guru Hargobind had established Kiratpur.
- Gurdwara Shish Mahal: first built as the home of Baba Gurditta Guru Hargobind later established his residence here. Both Sri Guru Har Rai Ji and Sri Guru Harkrishan Ji were born in the residence.
- Gurdwara Damadama: Guru Hargobind delivered divine sermons here.
- Gurdwara Sri Takhat Sahib: The 6th and the 7th Prophets were proclaimed Gurus at this spot according to the Sikh tradition and rites.
- Gurdwara Harmandir Sahib: Here Guru Hargobind had laid out a herbal and flower garden. He also met with Mohsin Fani, the famous scholar of Religions and the Mughal Prince, Dara Shikoh at this Gurdwara.
- Gurdwara Manji Sahib: Marks the site where Guru Hargibind's daughter, Bibi Veero had her house constructed. A sacramental book containing divine hymns (Pothi), a cot, a hand fan and a scarf (gifted to her by her father) and the holy cap of Guru Nanak Dev Ji can be seen here.
- Gurdwara Babaan Garh: Bhai Jaita (Jiwan Singh after baptism), in defiance of the Mughal authorities had managed to escape with the martyred head of the 9th Prophet, Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur from Delhi after his martyrdom in 1675. It was first rested here. From Gurdwara Teer Sahib the 6th Prophet had revealed Gurudwara Patal Puri by shooting an arrow. The 7th Prophet was created at Patal Puri and ashes of the 8th Prophet were immersed in river Satluj nearby.
- Gurdwara Baba Gurditta is located on a close by hill.
Other historic places: Tomb of Baba Buddan Shah.