Ashtdasa Sidh or Atharan Sidh or Dus Ashat Sidhan or 18 Spiritual powers are the intellectual powers which a Sikh can attain after understanding of Gurbani and attaining divine wisdom. This refers to understanding of 18 Mahapuranas. Siddhi means Sojhi or understanding.
Some Sikhs, under influence of Yog Matt, also define it as 18 Physical powers with which one can change its body shape, size, visibility, far sightedness, near sightedeness etc. Gurbani talks about "Budhi Badli" i.e once Budhi(intellect) changes and become supreme, that understand each and everything about the creation which includes all Siddhis whether of Mahapuranas or Yog Matt.
Ashtdasa Siddhi is different from Ashta Siddhi.
18 Mahapuranas - Siddhis by Brahmgyanis
Of the many texts designated 'Puranas' the most important are the Mahāpurāṇas. These are said to be eighteen in number, divided into three groups of six, though they are not always counted in the same way. Combining the various lists Cornelia Dimmitt and J. A. B. van Buitenen have collated twenty names, totalling 429,000 verses:
|S.No.||Purana name||Verses number||Comments|
|1||Agni||15,400 verses||Contains details of Vastu Shastra and Gemology.|
|2||Bhagavata||18,000 verses||Indologist Ludo Rocher considers it to be the most celebrated and popular of the Puranas,|
|3||Brahma||10,000 verses||Describes the Godavari and its tributaries.|
|4||Brahmanda||12,000 verses||Includes Lalita Sahasranamam, a text some Hindus recite as prayer.|
|5||Brahmavaivarta||17,000 verses||Describes ways to worship Devis, Krishna and Ganesha.|
|6||Garuda||19,000 verses||Describes death and its aftermath.|
|7||Kurma||17,000 verses||Is the second of ten major avatars of Lord Vishnu.|
|8||Linga||11,000 verses||Describes the magnificence of the Lingam, symbol of Shiva, and origin of the universe. It also contains many stories of Lingam, one of which entails how Agni Lingam solved a dispute between Vishnu and Brahma.|
|9||Markandeya||09,000 verses||Contains the Devi Mahatmya, an important text for the Shaktas.|
|10||Matsya||14,000 verses||Narrates the story of Matsya, the first of ten major Avatars of Vishnu. It also contains genealogical details of various dynasties.|
|11||Narada||25,000 verses||Describes the greatness of Vedas and Vedangas.|
|12||Padma||55,000 verses||Describes the greatness of Bhagavad Gita. Hence, it is also known as gītāmāhātmya (lit. the majesty of Gita).|
|13||Shiva||24,000 verses||Describes the greatness of Shiva, greatness in worshiping Shiva, and other stories about him.|
|14||Skanda||81,100 verses||Describes the birth of Skanda (or Karthikeya), son of Shiva. The longest Purana, it is an extraordinarily meticulous pilgrimage guide, containing geographical locations of pilgrimage centers in India, with related legends, parables, hymns and stories. Many untraced quotes are attributed to this text.|
|15||Vamana||10,000 verses||Describes areas around Kurukshetra in North India.|
|16||Varaha||24,000 verses||Describes various forms prayer and devotional observances to Vishnu. Many illustrations also involve Shiva and Durga.|
|17||Vayu||24,000 verses||Sometimes confused with the Shiva Purana, it is considered one of the oldest examples of the genre.|
|18||Vishnu||23,000 verses||Describes the many deeds of Vishnu and various ways to worship him.|
18 Spiritual Powers - Siddhis By Yogis
The 18 spiritual powers defined by Yogis are hereunder :
8 Major Spiritual Powers
- Anima: The power to become very small and minute.
- Mahima: Power to expand your body and become huge.
- Lagima: Decrease the density of your body and become light as feather.
- Garima: This is power to increase the density of the body and become heavier.
- Prapthi: This is power to welcome success, achieve goals and become fulfilled in life. This is common power used by successful business people who have focused to there energies on eg. wealth, creation & business success. That is why many sikhs are financially successful.
- Prakamya: This is power to read the mind of other people which is common among psychic people.
- Isithavam: This is power of persuasion & is unknowingly utilized by some of world's best salesmen.
- Vasithavam: This is aibility to control mind and body of other person.
10 minor Spiritual Powers
- Anooram: This is power to transcend hunger and thrist. The yogis do this while meditating for long periods in jungles and caves.
- Door Sharvan: To Listen far Things
- Door Darshan: To see far things.
- Manoveg: This is ability to go anywhere in instant. When Guru nanak Dev ji was in Baghdad he took the son of high priest of the tour of many worlds in our universe and brought back sweet pudding(Karah).
- Kaam Roop: This is ability to change the form to another person, animal or plant. the desired face.
- Parkayi Parvesh: This is ability to enter another persons body. This is usualy done to continuous life i.e the person may discard his own old body and enters the new one.
- Savichit Mrityu: This is aibility to die at will & die the way one wants to. Baba Atal Rai used this power to die at age of 9 after he innocently brought back his dead friend mohan to life which is a taboo.
- Surkareera: This is the power to meet the many demi gods & to join them in enjoyment and merry making.
- Sankalap Sidhi: This is power to get desires fulfilled.
- Apratihat Gat: This is aibility to go anywhere without any hindrance or obstruction. This power served Guru Nanak Dev when he travelled through four journeys.