Sri Muktsar Sahib
|ਸਰੀ ਮਕਤਸਰ ਸਾਹਿਬ|
Sri Muktsar Sahib
|— city —|
|Coordinates :||N, E|
|District :||Sri Muktsar Sahib|
|Population :||83,099 as at 2001|
|Population Density :||/km2|
|Timezone :||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Altitude :||184 m|
|Telephone code :||+01633|
|Postal code :||152026|
|Vehicle code :||PB30-|
Sri Muktsar Sahib (Punjabi: ਸਰੀ ਮਕਤਸਰ ਸਾਹਿਬ) is a city and municipal council in Sri Muktsar Sahib district in the Eastern Punjab (India). It's historical/old name was Khidrane Dee Dhab (Punjabi: ਖਿਦਰਾਣੇ ਦੀ ਢਾਬ).
The city is located in the southwestern zone of Indian Punjab and is bounded by the state of Rajasthan and Haryana in the south. The city and district of Faridkot lies to its north and Bathinda to the east. It lies between 30° 69 N and 29° 87 N latitude and 74° 21 E and 74° 86 E longitude.
Muktsar , literally, means the Pool of Liberation"
Sri Muktsar Sahib has a proud heritage. It is known as the last battlefield of Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Sikh Guru, in 1705 A.D., which proved to be a most decisive conflict in the military history of the Sikhs.
The forty Sikh warriors fought to death here against the Mughals under the leadership of tenth Guru. After the war, the city was renamed as Muktsar in their memory and recently the goverment has renamed it as Sri Muktsar Sahib due to its religious as well as historical importance.
Sardar Hari Singh Nalwa (1791-1837) visited the place and did kar sewa of a Gurudwara here which was reconstructed in the 80s.
Fairs and Festivals
The Mela Maghi (Punjabi: ਮੇਲਾ ਮਾਘੀ), held in the town in the memory of the forty Sikhs who sacrificed their lived in the battlefield of Khidrana, is very famous. The huge Mela, held the next day to Lohri, is held at an open space mainly on the Bathinda & Malout roads. People from all over the world, visit the place on this day to take a dip in the holy Sarovar.
A fair for animals, specially for horses, known as Ghorhian da Mela (Fair of Horses) is the other famous one.
The city is blessed with the holy shrines, such as Gurudwara Tutti Gandhi Sahib, Gurudwara Tambu Sahib and many more like:
- Sri Darbar Sahib
- Rakab Ganj Sahib
- Shaheedan Da Gurudwara
- Tambu Sahib
- Taran Tarn Sahib
- Tibbi Sahib
A few years ago, a new monument was built in the shape of Khanda Sahib, in the memory of the forty martyrs.
Sri Muktsar Sahib is a very hot battlefield for political parties namely Congress and SAD-BJP. The two prominent CMs of Punjab, Harcharan Singh Brar and Parkash Singh Badal, have their origins from Sri Muktsar Sahib district.
Schools and Colleges
The Government College on Kotkapura road is the prominent college of the area. The other schools and colleges are:
- Government School for girls
- Government School for boys
- Mai Bhago Ayurvedic Medical College
- Bhai Maha Singh Engineering College
- Guru Nanak College For Girls (GNDU, Amritsar)
- Dasmesh Khalsa College
- National College of Information and Technology
- Little Flower Convent School
- New Vision Academy, Sarainaga (CBSE, English Medium)
- New Vision Girls College
- Desh Bhagat Dental College & Hospital, Kotkapura Rd.
- Saint Soldier Convent School
- Bhai Mastan Singh Public School
- National Public School
- Akal Academy
- D.A.V Public School
- Shivalik Public School
- Sarvhitkari Public School
- Rama Krishna Middle school
- Rama Krishna School
- Dolphin Playway & Public School
- Saint Farid Convent School
- Sarswati Computer Centre near Red Cross Bhawan
- Joshi Hospital, Kotkapura Road, Muktsar
- Bansal Nursing Home, Kotkapura Road, Muktsar
- Adesh Cancer Hospital Research Center, Kotkapura Road, Muktsar