Mehraj, also spelled as Mahiraj or Marhaj, is a village 6 km northwest of Rampura Phul (30°16'N, 75°14'E) in Bathinda district founded in 1627 by Bhai Mohan (d. 1630), a Jatt of the Siddhu clan, with the blessings and help of Guru Hargobind. According to Sikh tradition, Mohan with his tribe wanted to settle down in this area but the Bhullars, the local dominating tribe, resisted. Mohan sought Guru Hargobind's blessing and succeeded in founding a village which he called Mehraj after the name of his greatgrandfather. The Bhullars tried to dislodge him, but were driven away with Guru Hargobind's help.
In the battle Guru Hargobind had to fight against an imperial force led by Lalla Beg. On 16 December 1634, Guru positioned his forces around a pool of water about 3 km south of Mehraj. Though they were vastly outnumbered, the Sikhs defeated the attacking force. Lalla Beg and several of his officers and men were killed. Guru Hargobind had them buried according to Muslim rites while he had the Sikhs fallen in the action cremated. A tower was subsequently raised that indicates the sites where cremation and burial took place.
GURDWARA CHHOTA GURUSAR TAMBU SAHIB, one kilometre southwest of the village, marks the site where Guru Hargobind had his tent (tambu, in Punjabi) set up at the time of his first visit to this place. It is a modestlooking shrine built on a low mound and managed by the village sangat.
GURDWARA GURUSAR MEHRAJ marks the site Of Guru Hargobind's camp during the battle of Mehraj. According to Cur Bilds Chhevm Padtshahi, Guru Hargobind had himself named this place Gurusar and declared it a place of pilgrimage, appointing a Ravidasi Sikh to look after it. The old building constructed by Maharaja Hira Singh of Nabha (1843-1911) was replaced during the 1980's by the successors of Sam Gurmukh Singh Scvavale. The new building, inside a walled compound, has a high ceilinged assembly hall, with the sanctum in the middle marked off by massive square columns and wide arches. Above the sanctum is a domed pavilion lined with glazed tiles and topped by a goldplated pinnacle and an umbrella shaped finial with a Khanda at the apex. Domed kiosks adorn the hall corners. The Gurdwara, endowed with 250 acres of land, is affiliated to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee.
People from the surrounding villages gather for a dip in the holy sarovar on every Monday.
1. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Curduarian. Amritsar, n.d.
2. Narotam, Tara Singh, Sri Guru Tirath Sangrahi. Kankhal, 1975
3. Gurbilas Chhevin Patshahi. Patiala, 1970