Lakhpat is located northwest of Bhuj at a distance of 170 km. This place can only be reached by road. Lakhpat is the last town situated at the western end of India, on the India - Pakistan border, at the junction of Kori creek and Rann of Kutch. Lakhpat derives its name from the prosperous maritime trade which generated a daily income of One Lakh Koris, (Lac means 1 lakh and kori was a Kutch monetary unit). According to another legend, the town was founded by Rao Lakha, so it was known as Lakhpat. Lakhpat is a fortified town with high walls, several gates and bastions made out of hard stone. Almost 50 years ago, this town was also the home to hundreds of families involved in fishing and manual labour but now it is an abandoned town.
After a short period of prosperity, Lakhpat lost its maritime significance in 1851 AD, when the Indus river changed its course. Since after the Indus river changed its course, the port dried up. Once a thriving town with population of 15,000, is today a deserted town and only a barren plain of limestone rock with only few families living here. It is not only the architecture but the stark loneliness and a vast view of deserted, crumbling houses which make Lakhpat a rare spectacle.
- See Wikipedia article on Lakhpat for more information