PALAHI, village 4 km north of Phagwara (31° 14'N, 75° 46'E) in the Punjab, is sacred to Guru Hargobind, who passed through it in 1635 on his way from Kartarpur to Kiratpur. According to the Bhatt Vaht Talaudd, a skirmish between the Mughal troops and the Guru's followers, generally described as the battle of Phagwara, took place here on 29 April 1635. Later, Guru Har Rai also visited the place. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, commemorating the martyrs who laid down their lives in the battle, is in the eastern part of the village, with the sanctum where the Guru Granth Sahib is seated at one end. The building is topped by a gold plated pinnacle and umbrellashaped finial. In a garden close by are the Guru ka Langar and some residential rooms. The Gurdwara is managed by a local committee under the auspices of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee. A major annual celebration is the three day religious fair in the month of June to mark the birthday of Guru Hargobind.
Village Palahi is situated between Hoshiarpur Road and G.T. Road , on a link road which is 3 kms. from Phagwara, on the North side of Phagwara. There were forests, consisting of specially PALLAH trees. Due to numberless trees of PALLAH this village was called PALLAHI. This was later on called PALAHI. Three Sikh Gurus visited this historical village: Guru Hargobind Sahib, Guru Har Rai Ji and Guru Teg Bahadur Sahib. With reference to the writings of a Muslim writer Mohasanfani, a famous Sikh Historic Professor Satbir Singh writes that sixth Guru Hargobind Sahib fought their last War with the Mugals in and around this village. Tiag Mal the great son of Guru Hargobind Sahib fought very bravely with his sword. Due to this,later on he was called and known as Teg Bahadur, who became the Nineth Guru of Sikhs. The Seventh Sikh Guru Siri Guru Har Rai Sahib also visited this village alongwith 2200 horse riders. In the memory of Siri Guru Hargobind Sahib, a seven storey beautiful building has been constructed.
National Rural Development society (Regd.) palahi established in 1983 (being run under the chairmanship of S. Jagat Singh Palahi) is engaged in the overall Development of Palahi. It is because of him today that the villagers are having all the Facitilies like Domestic, Solar Street Lights, Solar pumps, Solar Water Heating Systems, Solar Lanter, CFL, Solar Cooker, Post Office, Punjab and Sind Bank, Co-operative, Society, Sewing Center, Sports Stadium, Library, Health Care Hospital, Goverment Primary Schools and other Schools also. The National Institute for Intergrated Rural Development and Tranfer of Technology, Palahi Community Polytechic is another big achivement of this village. According to Principal S. Gurmeet Singh Palahi. This Institution was started in 1984-85 with the aim and object to impart training in various technical and educational trades to educate, semi educated, unemployed youth of 18-35 age group. Thus making the youth to be capable enough to secure gainful employment or start their own small ventures to cater for the demands from local area. The Major avtivites of this institution which was selected by Human Resources Development (Departmet of Education) Govt. of India New Delhi in 1986 as Community Ploytechnic wing are: Manpower Development and Training, Transfer of Technology, Technical Services, Support Technical Backup unit of Block Nakodar, Shahkot, Phagwara, Kapurthala, Sultanpur Lodhi of PEDA Chandigarh. Each and every aspect and the object is here have been installed in the village for demonstration purpose.
- USA Rotary Club Team Visit Palahi - Five members team of USA Rotary Club visited
- Polytechnic College Palahi on Feburary 3, 2007. They were welcomed by staff & Villagers. They showed keen interest in Solar Technology items and visited especially Information Technology centre of Polytechnic College Palahi.
- Free Health Checkup Camp - Guru Nanak Mission Hospital Janaldhar organised on 25th Jan 2006 a free health checkup camp at Palahi. A team of doctors checked more than 400 people. ECG/Xray was done with modren equipments.
- Free Eye Checkup Camp - Rajan Hospital Jalandhar with the help of Community Polytechnic palahi organised an eye check up camp at Palahi. Eyes of 200 people have been checked and from them eyes of 15 patients operated free of cost.
- Underground Sewarage System - Underground sewarage system in village palahi completed and is now working successfully.
- Indoor Stadium - Indoor Stadium Palahi completed with a cost of 20 lacs for which NRI's contributed 10 lacs and rest 10 lacs was share of Punjab Govt. as matching grant. This indoor stadium is situated in the premises of Community Polytechnic, Palahi.
The man behind all this is S. Jagat Singh Palahi, renowned Sarpanch of Gram Panchayat Palahi for 30 years. He plays major role in the village development. He is the Chairman of Community Polytechnic of Palahi, Natonal Rural Develolpment Society, Sri Guru Hargobind Educational Council, Guru Nanak College Sukhchainana Society, Sri Guru Hargobind Educational Council, Guru Nanak College Sukhchainana Sahib. And Above all Indian Express Space Marketing team an say that S. Jagat Singh Palahi is the senior citizen of our great nation for whom sky was not the limit, he wanted to reach beyond it.
Total Cultived land 548
Hectare Irrigated land 1360 acre
care with tubewell Tractors 130