PAIL, a village now in ruins near Ganguval, 5 km north of Anandpur along Anandpur Guru ka Lahore road, still has a shrine commemorating Guru Hargobind's visit in 1635. Here one of his favourite stallions, Jan Bhai, wounded in the battle of Kartarpur, finally collapsed and died.
The Gurdwara established during the 20th century is wrongly named Gurdwara Suhela Ghora after another horse, which according to Gurbilds Chhevm Patshahi and Sri Gur Pratap Suraj Granth, had been killed in an earlier battle at Mehraj. The two horses, Jan Bhai and Suhela (originally Dilbagh and Gulbagh, respectively), were being brought by a devotee from Afghanistan for Guru Hargobind, when they were snatched on the way by the governor of Lahore. Bhai Bidhi Chand, a devoted Sikh, had recovered them one by one through cunning trickery and brought them to Guru Hargobind. There are now two gurudwaras at what used to be the village of Pail.
GURDWARA SUHELA GHORA was only a small room constructed in 1965, until a slightly bigger one was added in 1982.
GURDWARA KHUH SAHIB, about 200 metres to the east of Gurdwara Suhela Sahib, is close to an old well (khuh, in Punjabi) which Guru Hargobind had dug.
The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, which administers both Gurdwaras, had the present building, a single square room, constructed in 1984.
1. Sohan Kavi, Gurbilas Chhevin Patshahi. Amritsar, 1968
2. Santokh Singh, Bhai, Sri Gur Pratap Suraj Granth. Amritsar, 1927-35
3. Macauliffe, Max Arthur, The Sikh Religion. Oxford, 1909