Old News 17
|Interview with Navtej Singh, Sikh bodybuilder|
|Watch this video (8.08 mins) on YouTube of the interview with Navtej Singh, body-builder. He has become the first keshadhari Sikh to win an international award in this sport at this level; he is from Kartarpur, India and has won several international awards in body-building. .....Watch, listen, read & ponder...|
|Can Hindu law cover Sikhs, Jains & Buddhists asks the Supreme Court|
|If Sikhism, Jainism and Buddhism are separate and distinct religions, can followers of these faiths be bracketed as Hindus under the Constitution and be governed by Hindu personal law, the Supreme Court asked before issuing notice to the Centre and attorney general G E Vahanvati...... → read more|
- Bhai Mardana’s descendant passes away at Lahore hospital - Bhai Lal, descendant of Bhai Mardana passed away Monday at Lahore’s Sarwar Hospital. He was eighty-five years old and had been admitted to the hospital as he was suffering from pneumonia.
- Film reveals Canadian Sikh community’s World War I stories - On Remembrance Day another little known part of Canadian history was brought to light by the hour-long documentary “Canadian Soldier Sikhs: A Little Story in a Big War.”
- Sikh Surgeons’ Seva - From Ludhiana to El Salvador - After two trips to Ludhiana, an American surgical team, led by two Sikh orthopedists, will perform free knee and hip replacements next year for about 50 impoverished patients in El Salvador.
|Watch: Obama wishes 'Happy Diwali', praises resilience of Sikhs|
|US President Barack Obama on Tuesday wished people "happy Diwali" and "saal mubarak", as he praised the resilience of Sikhs in the aftermath of the tragedy at a Wisconsin Gurudwara this year in which six members of the community were gunned down..... → read more|
- Bandi Chhor Divas: Sikh Perspective On Diwali - You must not only accept, determine, struggle and appreciate your own freedom but equally protect the freedom of others; the freedom of all of humanity!
- Happy Diwali! Sikh, Hindus And Jains Celebrate (Photos) - Diwali, also known as the "festival of lights", is being celebrated across the world by Sikhs, Hindus and Jains.
- Ford Motor Co. has appointed Sardar Joginder Singh as President and Managing Director of its India operations effective December 1, 2012. Joginder Singh, presently the President and Managing Director of Ford Business Services Centre in Chennai.
|Ford Motor Co. Names Joginder Singh as President, Managing Director|
|Ford Motor Co. has appointed Sardar Joginder Singh as President and Managing Director of its India operations effective December 1, 2012. Joginder Singh, presently the President and Managing Director of Ford Business Services Centre in Chennai..... → read more|
- Comedian Jaspal Singh Bhatti (1955 - 2012) Popular comedian and film director died when his car rammed into a roadside tree in the wee hours on Thursday, October 25, 2012.
- With a Bicycle & 21 Rupees Travels the world - during his travels, people showed support for Raghbir Singh by ringing a bell he had made out of spent bullet casings, used in the Vietnam War....
- Delhi of the Sikhs Last year Nishaan, the colorful Sikh quarterly from Delhi, asked me to trace the Sikh (and Punjabi) presence in Delhi...
|Delhi of the Sikhs|
|Last year Nishaan, the colorful Sikh quarterly from Delhi, asked me to trace the Sikh (and Punjabi) presence in Delhi...... → read more|
- Many Honoured at Third Annual Sikh Awards This year, the gala ceremony was presented by former Mayoral advisor Mr Kulveer Ranger and model/actress Ms Anu Singh...
- Widows, India's other 'untouchables' Lalita Goswami was married only a few years when her husband, a Hindu priest who beat her and abused drugs, died of an apparent overdose....
- The 'fempire' strikes back: More women should denounce unfair body critiques (Opinion) Public scrutiny of famous men and women is nothing new. We crave proof that the stars experience the same worldly imperfections we mortals do.....
|We have much to learn from Sikhs, says Harvard professor Diana Eck|
|As the Sikh community in the US makes efforts to recover from the tragedy of the Gurdwara shooting, a Harvard professor has said Sikhs have emerged as a role model for Americans who can learn from the dignity and generosity of the community. Sikhs share three distinctly and deeply American values..... → read more|
|Sikhs welcome Mrs Obama's visit to meet Sikh Victims|
|Sikh community is pleased and honored that the First Lady Michelle Obama will be visiting the victims of the shootings in Wisconsin Sikh Temple next week. Dr. Rajwant Singh, Chairman of the Sikh Council welcomed this commitment and kind gesture. ”It is great to hear that First lady will be visiting..... → read more|
|Six Sikh worshippers killed in act of US 'domestic terrorism'|
|A gunman shot dead six worshippers at a Sikh temple before opening fire on officers in what police described as an act of US "domestic terrorism". The attack began shortly before 10.30am local time on Sunday as dozens of people were gathering at a place of worship in Oak Creek, Wisconsin...... → read more|
|At least 7 dead, including shooter, at Sikh Temple|
|At least seven people were killed, including one shooter, just after 10 a.m. Sunday at the Sikh Temple in Oak Creek, police said. Four of the dead were inside the temple at 7512 S. Howell Ave. and three of the dead, including a shooter, were outside the temple. A police SWAT..... → read more|
|Pundits are wrong: Technology is good for religion|
|Sikhs don’t make much religion news. They don’t go on TV announcing their intention to burn Korans; they don’t loudly forecast apocalypse; and they have not had to defend their faith as one of them races to be president of the United States. But the Sikh community caught my attention..... → read more|
|Straight From The Hearth|
|Malkiat Kaur, 78, doesn’t buy vegetables anymore. She grows them on a six-by-four foot plot in the backyard of her house. Taa-ee ji - as Malkiat is called in her village Chaiana near Jaitu in Punjab’s Bathinda district..... → read more|
|Sikhs hail the passage of Sikh Marriage Act|
|Welcoming the passage of the law in Rajya Sabha (Upper House) and Lok Sabha (Lower House) of the parliament, Rajwant Singh, chairman of the Washington based Sikh Council on Religion and Education, said, “This is an historic day for Sikhs..... → read more|
|D.C. police to allow Sikh officers to wear religious items|
|The D.C. police force on Wednesday became the first major metropolitan police department in the country to proactively allow Sikh officers to wear beards and religious items such as turbans while on the job. The policy change was announced by Police Chief..... → read more|
|Bhai Mohinder Singh is honoured as a Knight|
|History was made in the Catholic Church in Birmingham, UK, when the Sikh leader, Dr Bhai Mohinder Singh of the Guru Nanak Nishkam Sewak Jatha was honoured as a Knight of the Pontifical Order of Pope St Gregory the Great, on Sunday, 22 April, 2012..... → read more|
|A Royal Fellow:Physicist Tejinder Singh Virdee|
|This year’s fellows for The Royal Society - one of the most coveted fellowships in the world of science - announced on Friday, April 20, 2012, include renowned Sikh-Briton scientist, Professor Tejinder Singh Virdee. The fellowship is made up of the most eminent scientists..... → read more|
|Dutt to make film on historical battle of Saragarhi|
|“I feel that the battle of Saragarhi was a very important historical event and people should be made aware of it. The country should know about the unsung heroes, who fought against 10,000 men for more than 10 hours to defend a post. The importance of the battle..... → read more|
|Sikh Boy Asks Kendall Jenner to be His Prom Date|
|Michigan teen Balraj Singh recently asked Kendall Jenner to be his prom date by making an adorable YouTube video. Due to her busy schedule, the 16-year-old model had to regretfully decline. Though she did say no, Kendall direct messaged Balraj on Twitter to break the news to him personally. How sweet!..... → read more|
|Painting the past in Kent|
|Sikh women from Kent are using painting to explain how marriage changed their lives so dramatically. The senior citizens, many in their 70s and 80s, are from the Guru Nanak Day Centre in Gravesend. As part of a special project they were given oils..... → read more|
|At California Lutheran, a Sikh's course in Christianity|
|Working with his Christian colleagues, says Mr. Gill, has made him a better Sikh. He believes that taking his introductory course can provide a similar benefit to his students, whatever their religious background. Below is an edited version of his thoughts on that subject...... → read more|
|Sikh Cadets win their colours|
|Pluralism in Canada’s military family will take another stride forward this Vaisakhi with the formation of the first ever Sikh Cadet corp in the country. Born out of a long military tradition, the Sikh cadets will be supported by the newly formed Friends of Sikh Cadet Corps Society..... → read more|
|Building bridges between communities: Norway goes the turban way|
|With blessings from the Norwegian government, the annual Turban Day celebrated on April 14 is turning three this year. 'The aim of the Norwegian Turban Day is to re-launch the turban as a symbol of solidarity, equality and religious freedom,' Patpatia said...... → read more|
|Sharandeep Singh's Wonderful Digital Art|
|You may never have seen the work of one of the best young Sikh artists in the world. From Ludiana comes a bright star in the firmament of Sikh art. Sharanjeet Singh's world captures a world of emotion and depth in each of his many projects. He is not only talented..... → read more|
|What's the Difference?|
|My friends and followers of Nanak, we may not agree on many things and have varying opinions about most every subject but as Sikhs we can agree on one fact, the truth. The truth was held in high regard by Guru Nanak, and therefore I ask you, as Sikhs to walk with me two steps in regards to the truth...... → read more|