NATHANA, village 35 km northeast of Bathinda (30° 14'N, 74° 59'E) in the Punjab, is sacred to Guru Hargobind, who came here after the battle of Gurusar Mehraj in December 1634. Kalu Nath, a yogi living at Nathana, who had served the Guru during the battle with food and milk for his Sikhs, now came out personally to make obeisance and receive the Guru's blessings. According to Bhai Santokh Singh, Sri Gur Pratdp Suraj Granth, the Guru stayed over night at Nathana and left for Karigar the next day. Gurdwara Manji Sahib Patshahi Chheviri now commemorating the Guru's visit stands on the bank of the village pond. The present building, constructed in 1957, is a large assembly hall, with the domed sanctum at the far end. Ancillary accommodation including Guru ka Larigar and two rows of rooms for staff and visitors is in an adjacent spacious compound. The Gurdwara owns 25 acres of land and is managed by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee through a local committee. Besides the daily services, important anniversaries on the Sikh calendar are marked by special divans. The largestattended among them is the annual festival on newmoon eve of the lunar month of Chet (March) at the shrine of Kalu Nath located in the centre of the village.
References 1. Sohan Kavi, Gurbilas Chhevm Patshahi. Amritsar, 1968 2. Santokh Singh, Bhai, Sri Gur Pratap Suraj Granth. Amritsar, 1927-35 3. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Guru Khalsa [Reprint]. Patiala, 1970