Kalyug, the "Age of Downfall", is the fourth and final era in the spiritual evolution of man. This is also referred to as the 'Iron Age' of Kalyug. The word 'Yug' stands for 'Era' or 'Time Cycle'. This Yug is the most difficult for the human race and many atrocities and unfairness will become commonplace in society. In this fourth stage of world human development, corruption will gradually develop wider in the earlier stages. This stage will eventually climax when the world will finally meets "judgement day" as described in various holy scriptures. It's not known when the end comes, but it's believed that we still have a long way to go. At the end of Kali Yuga, it is believed that a new order of a peaceful global society will be established. It is believed that after Kalyug, Satyug will start followed by Dwapar yug and Traata Yug. (Some say that the Traata will precede Dwapar)
In the Sri Guru Granth Sahib on page 902, Guru Ji tell us that these Yugs have no bearing on the stars, moon or the sun thus:
- "The same moon rises, and the same stars; the same sun shines in the sky. The earth is the same, and the same wind blows. The age in which we dwell affects living beings, but not these bodies and natural phenomena. " (SGGS p 902)
The geography of the Earth will remain the same but the living beings will change for the worse. What will be sign of the coming of Kaljug? The Guru tells us that when it becomes common for tyrants to be accepted and approved, then Kalyug is here thus:
- "Those who act like tyrants are accepted and approved - recognize that this is the sign of the Dark Age of Kali Yuga. " (SGGS p 902)
- "If someone practices Truth, he is frustrated; prosperity does not come to the home of the sincere. If someone chants the Lord’s Name, he is scorned. These are the signs of Kali Yuga. " (SGGS p 902)
Further, Gurbani explains that when trouble-makers become leaders, when liars is seated with honour at the top of the table, then you know that Kal-yug is upon us:
- "The trouble-maker is called a leader, and the liar is seated with honor. O Nanak, the Gurmukhs know that this is justice in the Dark Age of Kali Yuga. " (SGGS p 1288)
SGGS Page 145: Read Text in Red
- "The Dark Age of Kali Yuga is the knife, and the kings are butchers; righteousness has sprouted wings and flown away. In this dark night of falsehood, the moon of Truth is not visible anywhere. I have searched in vain, and I am so confused; in this darkness, I cannot find the path. In egotism, they cry out in pain. Says Nanak, how will they be saved? " (SGGS p 145)
- ਇਕ ਘੜੀ ਨ ਮਿਲਤੇ ਤਾ ਕਲਿਜੁਗੁ ਹੋਤਾ ॥ When I could not be with you, God for just one moment, the Dark Age of Kali Yuga dawned for me.
Aasaa, First Mehl:
Nanak is a sacrifice to the Naam, the Name of the Lord.
The disciple feeds on the Guru;
Beholding the petitioner, compassion is not aroused
O Nanak, they are human beings only in form and name;