Bhai Sahib Satpal Singh Khalsa
Bhai Sahib Satpal Singh Khalsa is the Chairman of Guru Ram Das Sikh Mission of USA (New Mexico). He states he is the Secretary of International Affairs, Akal Takht for Sikh Dharma, although the existence of this office and his posting by Akal Takhat Sahib is unconfirmed.
Childhood and Schooling
Bhai Sahib was born to Sardar Malik Singh Kohli and Sardani Rajinder Kaur on 1st August, 1956 in Madras, now known as Chennai, India. He did his schooling from Summer Fields High School in Greater Kailash, New Delhi. He did his graduation in Science from St. Stephen's College, Delhi. He was an all rounder in his student life, played many sports like field hockey, table tennis and track sports and participated in debates and declamations. He also attended the National Cadets Corps (NCC).
Immigration to USA
Bhai Sahib Satpal Singh Khalsa came to USA in May, 1978. He attended College of Santa Fe to study accounting, marketing and other business courses. In between he took management consulting job with Goodrich Tires in Akron Ohio. Later he moved to California and started business as a partner with GRD Enterprises, a marketing company in Los Angeles. Here he expanded business into various fields such as travel agency, school and office supplies, oriental carpet imports, check cashing, advertising business, beauty products and international trading business. In 1986 Bhai Sahib moved to Montreal and Toronto, Canada to start a candy manufacturing and distribution business. Later he started Real Estate business by the name SPI Real Estate International which represented various real estate developers from India such as Ansals. Unitech, DLF, Raheja and several other regional developers from South India in USA. Bhai Sahib also expanded the real estate business to Las Vegas, Nevada where he marketed Las Vegas properties and developments along with Pacific Group of Companies. He has also developed various real estate projects in India. He also owns an fine dining Indian restaurant in Las Vegas at the Rio Hotel and Casino.
- Guru Ram Das Mission sponsored the Shabad Guru seminar which was also the launching of Guru Granth Sahib Tri-centennial in North America under the guidance of Bhai Sahib.
- Successfully lobbied to make the US Congress to condemn the searching of the Turbans of the sikhs on the Airport in pretext to the security checks.
- Represented the Guru Ram Das Sikh Mission of America Tercentenary celebrations held at Takht Sri Hazur Sahib.
- Received the title of Bhai Sahib from Takht Sri Patna Sahib.
- Bhai Sahib was also honored with knighthood in 2007 for services to Sikhism.
- Received the robe of Honor (Chola Sahib) at Hazur Sahib.
- Received NRI Gold Medal from the British High Commission in India.
- Received Congressional Recognition from Congresswoman Shelley Berkley for his Diligent Efforts in Support of the Advancement and Recognition of Asian Americans Through personal dedication and Philanthropy.
- Received Certificate of Commendation from Senator Harry Reid for his dedication and hard work to the Asian American Community.
Bhai Sahib Satpal Singh Khalsa got married to Kamaljit Kaur, daughter of Siri Singh Sahib Harbhajan Singh Yogi in July, 1978. Soon the couple was blessed with two daughters named Taran Kaur and Kanchan Kaur. Kanchan Kaur is attending medical college at the University of New Mexico. Taran Kaur has completed her Bachelor’s degree from University of New Mexico and worked with the prestigious Vanguard Group in Scottsdale, Arizona.