|Full Name :||Soordas|
|Other Info:||500 verses in Guru Granth Sahib.|
Bhagat Surdas, was a poet, sant, musician and Gurmukh, who is believed to have lived from 1483 to 1573. He is said to have been blind from birth. He is traditionally believed to have lived from 1483 to 1573, and to have lived in Vrindavan, near Mathura.
A devotee of God, Bhagat Surdas was a follower of Gurmat Philosophy. He was another influential Bhagat in the Bhagti Movement of South Asia. A line by Bhagat Surdas has been incorporated into the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.
Many argue that some shabads in Guru Granth Sahib are of more importance then others. However, an important understanding one must have is that no shabad is greater then the other. Everything in Guru Granth Sahib has been compiled together to bring an understanding and a dialogue with the Eternal so that we may understand the 'True' essence of Ek Onkar (The One all existing forever continually creating Lord). Bhagat Surdas Ji line is an example of this very principle.In the Adi Granth, Guru Arjan Dev explored Bhagat Surdas's writing under the title of Surdas in Raga Sarang.
Surdas Bani and Explanations
Bhagat Surdas has only one line in the Guru Granth Sahib. He provides the following revelation:
- ਛਾਡਿ ਮਨ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਮਖਨ ਕੋ ਸੰਗ ॥
- shhaadd man hari bimukhan ko sa(n)g ||
- O mind, do not even associate with those who have turned their backs on the Lord Hari.
This single line is the Philosphy of Gurmat
- ਛਾਡਿ : Leave
- ਮਨ : O Soul
- ਹਰਿ : Inner Soul (when he haven't searched for inner soul), God (When he have searched his inner soul though, he is waiting for Command of God)
- ਬਿਮਖਨ : Turned Backs
- ਕੋ ਸੰਗ : Company
Devotee Surdas is speaking to his Mind (Mann).
If a person has no knowledge of Gurmat, than his 'anatomy' is:
- The Nature of his Mann is to remain tangled in Maya.
- The Nature of his Mann is to earn more and more money more than necessary, forgeting God
- The Nature of his Mann is to wait and watch, hoping some God will come before him that he can see with his naked eyes.
- The Nature of his Mann is to take up other rights for himself
- The Nature of his Mann is to have attachment with family more than is required
If a person has the Knowledge of Gurmat and still he is not following it, then he is nothing more than a Mukh Gyani. ______________________
Bemukhan are those people who tangle a person by teaching wrong methodologies and philosophy that, a soul could not think of his own and God. Those people have turned their backs from God and Gurmat. All Disbelievers come in this category, All Bharam Gyani, Fake Believers and Fake Saints comes in this category. Even person's own attention if is not inside too comes in this category.
Devotee Surdas is saying, O! My Mind (Attention), don't follow the people, don't follow such religions, don't follow such ways which have turned their back to lord, Who do not know what their inner soul is who do not know why they born to earth. If you are in their company than leave company of those people. because such company will spoil your life and you have to come again and again on earth and Gurbani says it's difficult to get Human Body because the intellectual level and knowledge gaining level which a human have is not available in any other Organism.
So Leave the Company of Darkness and Have company with the LIght, the people who can teach you Gurmat; people who are Gurmukhs. Even find and listen to (your) inner soul, if you can not listen to your inner soul then you are Bemukhan as well.
5th Mahala Explaining Soordas Bani in details
Making use of Bhagat Surdas's revelation, Guru Arjan Dev Ji composed a Shabad in Bhagat Surdas Ji's name.
- ਸਾਰੰਗ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ਸੂਰਦਾਸ ॥
- सारंग महला ५ सूरदास ॥
- Sĝrang mehlĝ 5 Sūrḝĝs.
- Saarang, Fifth Mehl, Sur Daas:
- ੴ ਸਤਿਗਰ ਪਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
- ੴ सतिगढ़र पढ़रसादि ॥
- Ikoaŉkĝr saṯgur parsĝḝ.
- One Universal Creator God.
- By The Grace Of The True Guru:
- ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਸੰਗ ਬਸੇ ਹਰਿ ਲੋਕ ॥
- हरि के संग बसे हरि लोक ॥
- Har kė sang basė har lok.
- The people of the Lord dwell with the Lord.
- ਤਨ ਮਨ ਅਰਪਿ ਸਰਬਸ ਸਭ ਅਰਪਿਓ ਅਨਦ ਸਹਜ ਧਨਿ ਝੋਕ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
- तनढ़ मनढ़ अरपि सरबसढ़ सभढ़ अरपिओ अनद सहज धढ़नि झोक ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
- Ŧan man arap sarbas sabẖ arpio anaḝ sahj ḝẖun jẖok. ||1|| rahĝo.
- They dedicate their minds and bodies to Him; they dedicate everything to Him.
- They are intoxicated with the celestial melody of intuitive ecstasy. ||1||Pause||
- ਦਰਸਨ ਪੇਖਿ ਭਝ ਨਿਰਬਿਖਈ ਪਾਝ ਹੈ ਸਗਲੇ ਥੋਕ ॥
- दरसनढ़ पेखि भझ निरबिखई पाझ है सगले थोक ॥
- Ḏarsan pėkẖ bẖaė nirbikẖaī pĝė hai saglė thok.
- Gazing upon the Blessed Vision of the Lord's Darshan, they are cleansed of corruption.
- They obtain absolutely everything.
- ਆਨ ਬਸਤ ਸਿਉ ਕਾਜ ਨ ਕਛੂਝ ਸੰਦਰ ਬਦਨ ਅਲੋਕ ॥੧॥
- आन बसतढ़ सिउ काजढ़ न कछूझ सढ़ंदर बदन अलोक ॥१॥
- Ān basaṯ sio kĝj na kacẖẖūai sunḝar baḝan alok. ||1||
- They have nothing to do with anything else;
- they gaze on the beauteous Face of God. ||1||
- ਸਿਆਮ ਸੰਦਰ ਤਜਿ ਆਨ ਜ ਚਾਹਤ ਜਿਉ ਕਸਟੀ ਤਨਿ ਜੋਕ ॥
- सिआम सढ़ंदर तजि आन जढ़ चाहत जिउ कढ़सटी तनि जोक ॥
- Siĝm sunḝar ṯaj ĝn jo cẖĝhaṯ jio kustī ṯan jok.
- But one who forsakes the dark beautiful Lord (Shyam Sundara),
- Harboring desire for anything else,
- Is like a leech on the body of a leper.
- ਸੂਰਦਾਸ ਮਨ ਪਰਭਿ ਹਥਿ ਲੀਨੋ ਦੀਨੋ ਇਹ ਪਰਲੋਕ ॥੨॥੧॥੮॥
- सूरदास मनढ़ पढ़रभि हथि लीनो दीनो इहढ़ परलोक ॥२॥१॥८॥
- Sūrḝĝs man parabẖ hath līno ḝīno ih parlok. ||2||1||8||
- Says Sur Daas, God has taken my mind in His Hands.
- He has blessed me with the world beyond. ||2||1||8||
Bhagat Surdas's Bani
Bhagat Surdas's Bani can be found in the following ANG (page) of Guru Granth Sahib:
- Bhagat Surdas, pg. 1253
|These are the 15 Bhagats of Sikhism|
Bhagat Beni | Bhagat Bhikhan | Bhagat Dhanna | Sheikh Farid | Bhagat Jaidev | Bhagat Kabir | Bhagat Namdev | Bhagat Parmanand | Bhagat Pipa | Bhagat Ramanand | Bhagat Ravidas | Bhagat Sadhna | Bhagat Sain | Bhagat Surdas | Bhagat Trilochan