The shrine must have been established before the end of the sixteenth century because Guru Arjan Dev (1563-1606) is believed to have visited it. Its present building comprising a square, domed sanctum with a rectangular pavilion attached to it within a vast walled compound was built by Maharaja Ranjit Singh.
It is believed that a room was first built here by the Guru's son, Baba Lakhmi Das (1497-1555) but it is more probably that this was built by his grandson, Baba Dharam Chand (1523-1618). The initial building was known as "Kalu ka Kotha", literally meaning the "house of (Mehta) Kalu", father of Guru Nanak. Later it came to be known as "Nanakayan", literally "home of (Guru) Nanak". .....More