Gurudwara Kodhiwala Ghat Sahib Village Babapur

From SikhiWiki
Revision as of 07:04, 20 May 2008 by Hpt lucky (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search
Kodhialisahib.jpg

Gurdwara Kodhiwala Ghat Sahib is associated with the first Guru, Guru Nanak Dev ji who came here during his Third Udasi or travel in 1514 AD. When Guru ji reached this place, it had turned dark. But, no villager was ready to offer any hospitality to Guru ji and his companions. The villagers, instead, sent him to the hut of a leper whom they had thrown out of the village. Guru ji spent the night at the leper's hut where he performed kirtan and meditation. The kirtan brought solace to the leper who, perhaps after many nights, had a peaceful sleep. In the morning, he begged Guru ji to help and cure his disease. Guru ji told him to bathe in the nearby pond. With the Guru's blessings, the leper bathed in the pond and his disease was cured. On hearing this, the villagers came to Guru ji and begged forgiveness. Guru ji told them to build a rest house for travellers here and it is at this site that the gurdwara exists. The gurdwara is managed by the Karsewa organization. The birthday of Guru Nanak Dev ji and Baisakhi are celebrated with great fervour here. Accomodation : A forty room sarai has been constructed and it provides accomodation for the visitors. The rooms have attached bathrooms and toilets. Separate accomodation is provided for ladies

Location

Gurdwara Kodhiwala Ghat Sahib is situated in village Babapur, district Lakhimpur Khiri, on the banks of river Ghaggar, about four kms from Tirghunia. To reach the gurdwara, one has to pass through dense jungle and rough terrain. The road condition at many places is very poor, particularly beyond Palia Bold text