VALLA, village 7 km east of Amritsar (31°38'N, 74°53'E) along the Amritsar Sri Hargobindpur road, is sacred to Guru Tegh Bahadur, who visited here in November 1664. According to Bhai Santokh Singh, Sri Gur Pratap Sura/' Granth, the Guru had come on a visit to the Harimandar, Amritsar, but the masands or ministrants shut the doors against him. Guru Tegh Bahadur sat outside the Harimandar for some time and departed saying, "The masands of Amritsar are burning with die fire of ambition," and came to Valla where he sat under a pipal tree, outside die village. The village sangat led by a devout old lady, Mai Hariari, came to offer obeisance. At their request the Guru repaired to Mai Harian's house inside the village. The sangat of Amritsar on learning how the Guru had been treated by the masands felt distressed. A group of ladies came on its behalf to Valla to atone for what the masands had done. Guru Tegh Bahadur blessed them saying, "Maiari rabb rajaian (Upon women may rest God's favour)." There are two gurdwaras commemorating die Guru's visit.
GURDWARA VALLA SAHIB, on the western outskirts of die village, marks the spot where Guru Tegh Bahadur had first alighted.
GURDWARA KOTHA SAHIBpanoramio photo link is managed by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee through a local committee. A largely attended fair is held on the fullmoon day of the month of Magh (JanuaryFebruary)., inside the village, represents the house (kotha in Punjabi) of Mai Harian where Guru Tegh Bahadur had stayed. The present building, raised after 1905 to replace the old one badly damaged in an earthquake, comprises a hall with a square sanctum in the middle of it. There is a domed room above the sanctum. A small 8metre square sarovar is to the left and residential accommodation to the right of the central building as one enters. Guru ka Langar is at the back. The Gurdwara