TAKHTUPURA, village 5 km east of Nihalsinghvala (30"35'N, 75"16'E) in presentday Moga district of the Punjab, is sacred to Guru Nanak (14691539), Guru Hargobind (15951644) and Guru Gobind Single (16661708). Three separate shrines close to one another and collectively called Nanaksar after the name of the sarovar or sacred pool commemorate the Gurus' visits.
GURDWARA PATSHAHI PAHILI, on the bank of Nanaksar sarovar, marks the site where Guru Nanak had discoursed with a few Siddhayogis who lived on a nearby mound. The building, raised by the local sangat on the site of an old mud hut, was constructed in 1975 by Sant Barbara Singh ofLopon. The new sixstoreyed edifice is a marblefloored hall, with the sanctum at the far end. The upper storeys built over the sanctum have above them a lotus dome topped by a goldplated pinnacle.
GURDWARA PATSHAHI CHHEVIN commemorates the visit of Guru Hargobind, who came here after the battle ofMehraj in December 1634. According to local tradition, Bhai Jakko, a leading farmer of the village served him with devotion. For a long time only a platform set up as memorial had existed here. The present Gurdwara was built by Sant Sundar Singh Bhindranvale in 1921. The sanctum is in the middle of a highceilinged, marbled hall, with a gallery at midheight. There is a basement below and domed pavilion above the sanctum topped by a goldplated pinnacle.
GURDWARA PATSHAHI DASVIN, on the eastern bank of the sarovar, is dedicated to Guru Gobind Singh, who visited Takhtupura en route to Dina in December 1705. He is said to have bathed in the sacred Nanaksar. The old building, constructed by an Udasi saint, Bishan Das, collapsed during the abnormally heavy rains in 1955, and was replaced by the present complex raised by Sant Darbara Singh of Lopoh in 1962. It comprises a marblefloored hall, with the sanctum in the middle.
NANAKSAR, the rectangular sarovar, was partly lined by Dhanna Singh Malvai, a general under Maharaja Ranjit Singh. It was desilted and completed with a marbled circumambulate ry terrace in 1921 under the supervision of Sant Sundar Singh Bhindranvale.
These shrines are administered by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee. Besides the daily services and the ob servance of important anniversaries on the Sikh calendar, a largelyattended divan is held on every newmoon day. The major function of the year, however, is a 3day religious fair held to mark the popular festivals of Lohri and Maghi (midJanuary). The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee also runs at Takhtupura an educational institution, Guru Nanak Khalsa High School, managed by a separate 11member committee.
1. Narotam, Tara Singh, Sri Guru Tirath Sangrahi. Kankhal, 1975
2. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Gurduarian. Amritsar, n.d
3. Thakar Singh, Giani, Sri Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1923