SikhiWiki:Policy and Guidelines
SikhiWiki is a collaborative project and its founders and contributors have a common goal:
- Our goal with SikhiWiki is to create a reliable and free encyclopedia—indeed, the largest encyclopedia in history, in both breadth and depth.
SikhiWiki has some policies and guidelines that help us to work toward that common goal. Some of these policies are still evolving, while others are long settled and largely uncontroversial.
While our policies continue to evolve, many SikhiWiki users feel that written rules are inherently inadequate to cover every possible variation of disruptive or malevolent behavior. For example, a user who acts against the spirit of our written policies might be reprimanded even if the letter of the rules has not been violated. Those who edit in good faith, show civility, seek consensus, and work towards the goal of creating an impartial encyclopedia, should find a welcoming environment.
You don't need to read every Wikipedia policy before you contribute! However, the following policies are key to a productive SikhiWiki experience, and the sooner you get to grips with them, the better.
- Avoid bias. Articles should be written from a neutral point of view, representing differing views on a subject fairly and sympathetically.
- Don't infringe copyrights. SikhiWiki is a free encyclopedia licensed under the terms of the GNU_Free_Documentation_License. Submitting work which infringes copyrights threatens our objective to build a truly free encyclopedia that anyone can redistribute, and could lead to legal problems. See SikhiWiki copyrights for more information.
- SikhiWiki is an encyclopedia. Its goals go no further. See What SikhiWiki is not for more info.
- Respect other contributors. SikhiWiki contributors come from many different countries and cultures, and have widely different views. Treating others with respect is key to collaborating effectively in building an encyclopedia. For some guidelines, see Wikipedia etiquette, Wikipedia:Writers rules of engagement, Wikipedia:Civility, Dispute resolution.