Harvinder Singh, an Indian Youth, came into light after incidence happened at NDMC Centre in New Delhi where he slapped 71 year old, Minister of Agriculture and Minister of Consumer Affairs, Sharad Pawar, as singh was upset with the growing corruption and soaring inflation in the country. After Slapping, he kept shouting slogans against price rise and corruption. After slapping Pawar, Singh also brandished a small knife and threatened to kill politicians accused of being involved in corruption cases. He also said that he was not worried about the consequences. Harvinder was booked under section 309-323-353-506. The incidence happened when Pawar was leaving the premises after attending a literary function on 24 November 2011. The attacker, who previously is said to have assaulted former telecom minister Sukhram on Saturday 19 November 2011. Harvinder Singh is a transporter in his thirties. Pawar reacted to the incident calling it stupid and that he did not make much out of it.
Sharadchandra Govindrao Pawar(Marathi: शरदचंदढ़र गोविंदराव पवार; born 12 December 1940), popularly known as SAHEB(साहेब), is the president of the Nationalist Congress Party which he founded in 1999, after separating from the Indian National Congress. He has previously held the posts of Minister of Defence and Chief Minister of Maharashtra and currently serves as Minister of Agriculture and Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Government of India.
Attack is condemned by Indian Government. Even Sikh Bodies condemned this attack too. Anna Hazare, the Corruption Crusader firstly asked that if he was hit only once? then he said that in democracy it is not good to attack but government should also take care of people so that they do not become angry. Singh was praised on social media websites like Facebook, twitter and YouTube, and most of the comments in any online news are favouring/supporting Mr. Harvinder Singh and praising for the courage and treating it as slap not from Sikh or Physically Ill person BUT THIS IS SLAP FROM COMMON PEOPLE.
Reaction of Government
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh spoke to Pawar after the incident and condemned the attack.
- The Madhya Pradesh Assembly on Friday strongly condemned the attack on NCP President and Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, in Delhi.
- Parliamentary Affairs Minister, Narottam Mishra and Leader of Opposition, Ajay Singh supported Vijaywargiya and said everyone in democracy should condemn such incidents.
- Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said, "It is totally condemnable and I do not know where this country is going. These types of activities are not worth publicising."
- NDA convener Sharad Yadav said, "I strongly condemn the incident as such acts weaken our fight against corruption and price rise. He is a lumpen man and has acted in the same manner earlier as well. It was all a drama. We, the Opposition parties, are taking up a fight against corruption and price rise."
- Samajwadi Party's Mulayam Singh Yadav said, "I condemn the incident and fear if the price rise continues the way it is, such incidents might increase in number."
- Gurudas Dasgupta (CPI) said, "It is uncivilised and undemocratic. I condemn this squarely. This is no way to protest against price rise. We believe in fighting corruption, but we are against individual terrorism."
- Trinamool Congress leaders were also not behind in condemning the incident.
- Minister of State for Health, Sudeep Bandhopadhyay, said, "People will definitely be pained by the price rise and we will discuss it across the country and Parliament."
- Right-wing organization's announced the award to singh. The outfit has earlier been blamed for attacking lawyer Prashant Bhushan. "The media has received messages from Tajinder Pal Singh Bagga from Bhagat Singh Kranti Sena - owing allegiance to Sri Ram Sene - that they will pay Rs 11,000 to Singh for his brave act, said a police officer.
Reaction of Sikh Bodies
Few Sikhs says that this incidence is to show sikh image low as sikhism does not allow it.
- Sri Guru Singh Sabha - the central body of the city's Sikh community — condemned the act, dubbing it as “unlawful and fascist”. “The perpetrator of the crime, Harvinder Singh, is a member of our community. However, his act is inhuman and he should be tried under the law of the land,” said S Bahadur Singh, president of the Sabha, at a press conference held in the city on Thursday. “It is highly unfortunate that the act of one man is threatening the peace and harmony of the community and the country. We strive for peace and request fellow Sikh members to deal with the situation sensitively, keeping in mind the principles laid down by Guru Nanak and Guru Gobind Singh,” said Kulwant Singh, general secretary of the Sabha.
- Manjit Singh Bhatti, President, Guru Nanak Vidyak society, which runs 10 schools in the city, said, “It is a sensitive issue and we are on alert. Tomorrow, we will see what the situation is like. What happened is very unfortunate and we condemn it.”
Reaction of Singh's Family and Neighbours
- Harvinder's sister claims that he is mentally unsound. Back home in Vijay Vihar, Rohini, His sister told TOI that Singh was suffering from a mental illness and she has 'relevant papers' to prove her claim.
- Harvinder's mother was stunned to see her son on television slapping Union agriculture minister Sharad Pawar. Deeply ashamed at her son's behaviour she sought the advice of her neighbours before leaving for a relative's place.
- Acc to neighbors, he appeared to be a modest person. "This has come as a shock to us since he's from a good family," said Pyarelal Sharma, Harvinder's upstairs neighbour. "He's a regular at my shop and often complains about the rising prices, blaming the government for the common man's misery," said Om Prakash, who runs a grocery store nearby. "His family once told me that he was taken to Ganga Ram Hospital where the doctor gave him sleeping pills," claimed Ram Sharma, another neighbour. Neighbours also said that Harvinder was greatly influenced by Anna Hazare's crusade against corruption.
- Sushma Swaraj on Harvinder Singh's attack
- Anna Hazare First Comment
- Anna Hazare Second Comment
- Sharad Pawar surprised by attack
- Maharashtrians got angry but has not taken it communal yet
- Smriti Irani Condenmed it
Cyber People Comments and works