Gurduwara Bari Sangat (Burhanpur)

From SikhiWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Gurdwara Bari Sangat is about two furlongs northwest of the walled city of Burhanpur in Madhya Pradesh. It marks the site where Guru Gobind Singh, traveling to the south with emperor Bahadur Shah, stayed in May-June 1708. Later Hathi Singh, son of Mata Sundari's adopted son Ajit Singh, made his abode here. This Gurdwara has 16 acres of land attached to it.

Guru Granth sahib is seated on a marble canopied seat in the middle of a spacious high-ceilinged, rectangular hall which has a gallery at mid-height on three sides. Above the hall, over the sanctum, are two floors of square rooms with a domed pavilion on top. An old Bir (hand-written copy) of Guru Granth Sahib is preserved in this Gurdwara. Its pages have beautifully drawn borders in multicolours.

This Gurdwara is is much more flourishing and frequented than the other Gurwara located in Burhanpur along the bank of the Tapi River. Gurdwara Rajghat Sangat Pahili Pathshai is dedicated to Guru Nanak Dev. It is in a single room looked after by a Nihang who lives in a similar room close by.