Draft Sikh Marriage Act 2007
Draft of "THE SIKH MARRIAGE ACT"
SUBMITTED BY THE WORLD MUSLIM SIKH FEDERATION
Government of Pakistan
THE SIKH ANAND MARRIAGE ACT 2007
An Act to remove doubts as to the validity of the marriage ceremony conducted under the Sikh religion and sacrosanct among the Sikhs called "Anand Karaj".
WHEREAS it is expedient to remove any doubts as to the validity of the marriage ceremony among the followers of Sikh religion called Anand Karaj; It is hereby enacted as follows:-
1. (a) This Act may be called the "Sikh Anand Marriage Act 2007"; and
- (b) It extends to the whole of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan
- (c) It applies to any Sikh irrespective of his race or nationality as long as such ceremony is conducted within the Republic of Pakistan.
2. All marriages which may be or may have been duly solemnized according to the Sikh marriage ceremony called the Anand Karaj shall be , and shall be deemed to have been with effect from the date of the solemnization of each respectively, good and valid in law.
3. Nothing in this Act shall apply to-------------
- (a) any marriage between persons not professing the Sikh Religion, or
- (b) any marriage which has been judicially declared to be null and void
4. Nothing in this Act shall be deemed to validate any marriage between persons who are related to each other in any degree of consanguinity or affinity which would, according to customary law of the Sikhs, render a marriage between them illegal
5. The Government of Pakistan, through the Pakistan Sikh Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee shall issue appropriate marriage certificates under the Sikh Anand Marriage Act 2007 provided such marriages are duly solemnized at one of the following Gurdwaras:
- Gurdwara Dera Sahib Lahore
- Gurdwara Janam Asthan Chunna Mandi Lahore
- Janam Asthan Nanaka Sahib
- Gurdwara Panja Sahib Hassan Abdal
- Gurdwara Bhai Joga Singh Peshawar
- Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib Narowal
6. Any further venues may be approved by the Pakistan Sikh Gurdwara Parbhandak Committee.
7. Where there is conflict between the Sikh Anand Marriage Act and any other Act, the Sikh Anand Marriage act shall prevail for the purposes any proceedings in Pakistan.