Chhattiana

From SikhiWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
ਛੱਤਿਆਣਾ
Chhattiana
—  village  —
[[File:{{{Image_name}}}|250px|center]]
Details
Coordinates : 30.3282 N, 74.6688 E
Country : India
State : Punjab
District : Sri Muktsar Sahib
Population : 3,556 as at 2001
Population Density : /km2
Timezone : IST (UTC+5:30)
Area : km2
Altitude : m
Telephone code : +01637-2*****
Postal code : 152031
Vehicle code : PB60-
Website :
Other Information:


Chhattiana (Punjabi: ਛੱਤਿਆਣਾ) is a village in the Giddarbaha tehsil of Sri Muktsar Sahib district in Eastern Punjab (India). It is centered (approx.) at 32°19'43"N,74°40'08"E, only 15 km from the nearest city and railway station of Giddarbaha and 22 km from Sri Muktsar Sahib city.

History

Guru Gobind Singh came to this place after the Battle of Muktsar in 1705 and stayed at the outside of the village where, now, a Gurudwara is located in His memory.


The soldiers of the Sikh army demanded for their salary as they were not paid for some time. The tenth Master told them to wait but they didn't agree. In the mean time, a Sikh presented before the Guru with his Daswandh (1/10 or 10% of one's income) in the form of gold coins. The tenth Master started distributing these coins in the soldiers as payment. The soldiers were very happy to receive their wages but one of them, Bhai Dan Singh of Brar clan, refused to take anything. When the Guru asked him that what he want then he replied that he want the Sikhi.[1] The Guru pleased on hearing this and said, "You have saved the honour of the faith for Malwa as Bhai Mahan Singh saved it for Majha". Then he received the rites of initiation.


Peer Sayyad Ibrahim was a Muslim recluse of the village, who lived at the top of sandy mound near by. He was greatly moved by the personality of the tenth Master and his Sikh's life and requested the Guru to make him a part of the Khalsa then he took Amrit in the hand of Bhai Maan Singh and renamed as Ajmer Singh after initiation.

Historical Gurudwara

Gurudwara Guptsar Sahib, reconstructed during the 1970's, is a highceilinged hall with the sanctum at the far end. Above the sanctum are two storeys of square pavilions topped by a lotus dome with an electroplated pinnacle. To the east of the hall is the Sarowar (holy pool) and to the south the Guru ka Langar (community kitchen) and a row of residential rooms. The Gurdwara owns eight acres of land and is controlled by the SGPC.

References

  1. ^ Malwa Desh Ratan di Sakhi Pothi

1. Tara Singh, Sn Gur Tirath Sangrahi. Amritsar, n.d.

2. Giani Thakar Singh, 5n Gurduare Darshan. Amritsar, 1928