Baba Thakur Singh

From SikhiWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Thakur singh.jpg
Baba Takhur Singh was born in 1915 at Eechogill village, in Lahore (Pakistan). Both his parents were baptised Khalsa who recited prayers daily and had an unshakeable faith in the Sikh gurus and the Guru Granth Sahib. After the partition of British India, and the wanton destruction of thier homes and the violence that led to the deaths of untold thousands of their fellow villagers and their way of live in the villages of their ancestors, they came to India and settled in Sadaruala village near Makhu in Ferozepore district.

He had served as garveye (close associate) of Sant Giani Kartar Singh Khalsa Bhindranwale for 22 years. As he had joined the seminary at an early age, he was associated with four heads of the taksal since he had stayed at the taksal for more than 70 years.

When Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale launched the Dharam Yudh Morcha in July 1982, Baba Thakur Singh was asked to take care of Gurdwara Gurdarshan Parkash, Chowk Mehta. Many gurdwaras were built during his tenure as acting jathedar of the taksal, including Gurdwara Shaheed Ganj B-Block where 13 Sikhs were killed during the Sikh-Nirankari clash.

Baba Thakur Singh died on December 24th, 2004, after a brief illness at a local private hospital. He was aged 89.